Help me with my XS400 Special...so lost

Danibostro

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I have an XS400 Special.
The issues I'm having are it will not run without being choked. Even when giving it gas. I have replaced the boots and air filters. I also have pulled the carb out (2 times) and THOROUGHLY cleaned them.
I am at a loss what to do and what to fix I have Googled my butt off and not sure what else to try.

did u check plugs for good spark what color are ur plugs are they wet or dry did u check petcock to make sure fuel is flowing good ??
Spark plugs are good. They are dry. Pet cock was taken off along with the tank filter and cleaned today. Any other thoughts? I'm sure it's something I'm missing just not sure what.

Spark plugs are good. They are dry. Pet cock was taken off along with the tank filter and cleaned today. Any other thoughts? I'm sure it's something I'm missing just not sure what.
how did u clean them. and by that i mean what did u use did u poke and prod with a wire allso u said u cleaned petcock and tank did u test it to make sure it is flowing if petcock is working good then i would suspect u missed somthing when cleaning the carb

allso please provide the year of your bike is it modded

1980 XS400S No mods except for airfilters
While the carb was apart used a wire bristle to poke and prod jets with carb cleaner and used air to blow out.
As for the the petcock made sure there was no crap in it blew out the tank filter with air and scraped off the crud.
I am not sure how to check to see if the petcock has good flow.

They are cone filters. I'll have to get pictures later I am not home.
as for testing petcock if it is a vacume petcock there are 2 ways pull fuel line off carb turn petcock to prime.
2nd take fuel line off carb and leave vacume line attached turn motor over with starter and see if it starts pooring fuel (reserve or normal not on prime)
if not a vacume petcock pull fuel line off carb then turn petcock to on and if fuel pours every were then it is probly good

If they are the EMGO filters right on the carbs (no H-pipe) you need to cut the rubber lip inside as they block off the air jets and passages to the diaphragms.

20160312_132614912_zpsziudl0fz.jpg

20160312_132655483_zpsgvxhhci6.jpg

Emgo's are not much more than a screen and will need jetting to work also. I would use the stock H-pipe and either uni's or real K&N filters on the ends if you must have "pods".

Back