Help to identify where to connect

troy7548

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the boot carb holders there is a line coming out and 1 side has a cap on it and the other doesn't is there suppose to be a cap or something hooked to it? Also in the 2nd circle is this tube suppose to be connect to anything. My bike has the mono pods and not sure if this use to go to the old air filter boxes or if it is just a vent?

full

Large one is for the crank case vent which hooked to the factory intake H-pipe and stock air filters. I would put your "pods" on that instead on on the carbs. It will tune better. The other small barb is for the petcock vacuum port. It turns the petcock on when the motor starts. If you have an aftermarket manual style you can just cap it. There are threads on all these things in the forum.

I would put the H pipe on but this is a hand me down bike from my dad and when he had it the H pipe was already removed.

You can attach a small breather to that crankcase vent. It doesn't pull gases from the crankcase like designed but it does allow it to vent to atmosphere at least and not let dirt and debris in.

You can find them cheap off ebay or post an ad in the classified section of the forum for one. Make sure i'ts for a sohc xs400 only. The dohc and the xs360 ones are not the same.

So my question would be I have a long black line coming down off the petcock is that supposed to be hooked to the right carb boot. My bike was running but after it warmed up it would idle high. Do you think it needs to be conceded and would that cause my idle issue?

That is a vacuum line for the tank petcock. It should be connected to the right carb boot like you said. The tank petcock should be in the ON position, not prime.

Back