Help with front brakes

Well at least you've found most of your parts. As for the caliper piston, if bikebandit doesn't have them, keep searching ebay and hope a new old stock part shows up for a price you can afford. Another option might be buying a whole caliper on ebay and hope it is in better shape than yours. How bad are those marks on the piston? Is it scratched or pitted? If not, it might be fine.

EDIT: If it possibly helps anyone to help me, the measurements on the caliper piston are

Diameter: 43mm
Height: 33mm

Thanks

get them made, A friend did mine in stainless at work. any machine shop can do them.1/2 hour on the lathe

Alright, so i went out and got it priced to get the caliper piston made at a local machine shop and it was $200 to get one made, which is just crazy. I found a kawasaki piston that is EXACTLY the same size for $30, though the top is shaped a bit different. I was able to still use an original piston/dust seal kit to get the caliper all put back together...so finally have success in this portion, as well as finally got the correct brake pads in. Partsnmore is apparently based out of New York and i ordered right before Irene decided to shut everything down for a few days, either way they are here now!

However, I am now stuck on a NEW step, which is removing the old fork oil seal. I have the forks completely disassembled and in two pieces. The upper stanchion tube is completely cleaned out of all parts, the lower has everything removed as well minus the fork oil seal, I cannot for the life of me get this thing to budge. I have picked on to pieces practically while the other is still whole. Anyone have any tips for getting this damn seal out? I was trying to pry ('prise' in the haynes manual...lol) them out with a screwdriver, and broke one. I was going to try to use something stronger, but the screwdriver i broke did put a little dent in the top edge of the upper tube, nothing that will be seen or cause any malfunctions, but i'm scared to use a crowbar or similar to cause some real damage. Any tips/suggestions on getting this bad boys out of there would be great.

Thanks all.

I have had some right bitches, forks were'nt as good either :D

I think i drove a flat sharp object between the seal and fork inner and twisted it. then used a long nose pliers to twist the rest out.

I don't know how proper this was. One time I was replacing the seals on a Honda. that probably hadn't been replaced since it was new, about 30 years. I couldn't do any of the usual to get them out. Getting frustrated, after a couple days working on it I got extreme. I stuffed wet rags into the tubes, got a propane torch, and burned the rubber off the old seals. Pulled the left over metal out with a pliers.

Back