Help with my 1981 xs400sh

3dginc

1981 Yamaha xs400sh
Reaction score
I should probably tell you about the bike like everyone seems to do on here. YOu guys I am sure will appreciate the deal I got. As you know it is the '81 XS400SH. The great part about it is it only has 617 miles total on it. The guy I got it from had bought it brand new in 81, drove it to 617, fell over and hurt his knee and never road it again. Stored it in his garage for 30 years and then sold it to me for $200. With new tires, battery and all I have maybe spent $900 total. The bike is a blast though but almost completely stock. Any suggestions on mods to do to it again would be greatly appreciated.

Now for the questions....

First question for you guys, for the seat...do you know if this will fit my pan? It is supposedley for an XS 650.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K:MEWAX:IT
It is pretty much like the one on the new Moto-Guzzi that I like.

2nd...having some issues with starting it first thing in the morning. After I spray the starting fluid in the carbs it works great and for the rest of the day. Just when it sits over night or if it sits all day at work the thing won't start right up. I have to carry the starting fluid with me in my pack everywhere I go. Any suggestions? I have torn the carb apart twice and everything seems clean. No gunk or anything.

3rd...I have the original air filters. Is there a better option for replacement? They are 30 years old...hahaha.

Thanks again guys for any information you have on these subjects! Haven't been working on bikes that long so I am a little lost at the moement...haha.

I think your float height is wrong and can't suck up the fuel till the engine is turning over fast (on the starter fluid) just a thought.

try and keep the same style of filter if you can, theya re still around, if a little pricy. If they last 30 years then maybe they are a bargain!

the listing for the seat has gone so can't comment!

Welcome!

1) The link didn't work for me.

2) Sounds like the pilot (idle) circuit for the carbs is plugged up. It happened to me with carbs that looked stunningly clean. Spray carb cleaner through the idle air jet until you see it coming out of the pilot hole on the engine side of the butterfly, then cover that hole with your finger and spray agine until it sprays freely out the 3 holes just over the butterfly. Not unusual for a bike sitting for so long no matter the miles. Are you pulling the enrichener all the way out to start it?

3) The original type filters can be had for around $15 each. Personally, I would stick with them. Some people use "pod" filters, but that requires re-jetting the carbs....for nominal gains if any, but people seem to like the look. If your old filters aren't ratty, I'd keep them for now.

You probably still have the factory plugs over the idle mix screws on top of each carb. If so, carefully drill them out to get access to the idle mix screws. The screws are usually factory set to 1.5 turns out. Increase to 3 - 3.5 turns out. Factory setting is per EPA and just too lean. Be careful to seat the screws gently as they have very pointy tips which can break off and stick in the opening. Your carbs also have a VERY SMALL o-ring at the bottom of each idle mix screw. Over time, this o-ring deteriorates and allows air to leak past the screw messing with your idle. Since your bike has so few miles on it, the o-rings might still be on OK shape.

You don't mention how you are using the choke when the engine is dead cold.

BTW, we MUST have pics!!

Wow. Thanks for all of the ideas. This is awesome how everybody is so helpful here.

As for the choke...I have tried it in all 3 positions and it does the same thing on each one. I will get all of your ideas to my buddy who is helping me with all of this. I honestly have no idea what I am doing as this is my first learning project but I am loving it and am addicted to riding now.

As for the seat...let's try this link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0657285280&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT

And...here are the pictures. Enjoy. I will have updated ones with the Clubman Handlebars after they get here this week.

photo.jpg

photo 3b.jpg

photo 5.jpg

photo 4.jpg

photo 3.jpg

photo 2.jpg

nice and clean mate.

as for that link, its not a seat, just foam and a cover!! do that yourself

Back