Hi all, my new (first) project

mil1638

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all, after a few years without a bike i have decided to take on a project and build a cafe racer type. I found this xs400 and jumped at the chance. Any advice would be welcomed. Right now i am concentrating on stripping, cleaning and documenting.
One question i do need to ask right now:-
You may notice that a larger front end has been fitted by previous owner( from MAXIM model i think?) which looks great but it tends to hit tank at partial-full lock. I do have the original but really like the 'taller' look . Can anyone offer any solutions?

Attachments

• IMG_0352.jpg
    IMG_0352.jpg
    312.6 KB · Views: 108
Welcome!

You could make some new triple trees? Or move the tank backwards.

For a standard cafe bike the shorter front end would be the way to go. That said, I recommend you keep the tall front and jack up the back as well :)

Thanks for reply, fabricating new triple trees is a bit beyond my abilities unfortunately. I had thought i could use the originals with the longer forks but alas they have different diameters. I will look into moving tank once i get frame built back up which is currently stripped into as many bits as it can be stripped :)

Welcome to the forum! Good luck with your build :)
Are you sure the higher front end is going to work on a cafe build? The high front might throw off the looks

Yeah, i agree that is not the standard cafe look but i really like how the bike sits so maybe i shall have to re-classify my build :confused:

who cares about labels?? just go with what you think looks nice, that's what it's about :thumbsup:

If you like the stance just keep it the way it is. But I want to know why there is a brace welded in front of the oil filter:confused: Also what happened to the right side head pipe:eek: Welcome to the forum:)

The right side pipe got bent slightly when unloading from trailer, sorted now. As for the bracket, i have know idea. the previous owner fitted it ?? Maybe thinking of a sump guard or similar

Thanks for reply, fabricating new triple trees is a bit beyond my abilities unfortunately...
What about adding a bit of steel with a welder to create stops to prevent the forks from turning so far?
Might slightly restrict your manoeuvrability in parking lots, or prevent the fork lock from working, but it wouldn't affect you when riding.

Back