Hi All - new to the forum

mono

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone -

Thought I'd say "hi" -- I'm new to the forum and to Yamahas. I recently became the caretaker of this '78 XS400. A buddy of mine who is out-of-country for work bought it and I'm keeping it (and now fixing it) for him until he gets back stateside. Unfortunately during transit, it stopped running and had to be trailered to my place.

I own a few old hondas and have done a complete teardown/restore on my '75 CB550, so I'm pretty familiar with how old bikes like this work in general, but I'm sure there will be a number of questions specific to this bike that I'll need some wisdom about.

I've already pulled the carbs and found that they need a good cleaning, maybe a rebuild, and a sync. The electrical is also gross from years of dirt, so I'm going through all the contacts and cleaning them. And while I've got everything apart, I just can't resist restoring some things that need it. also, depending on my buddy's budget, I may be needing a few used replacement parts.

Overall, the bike is in good shape -- very minor rust pitting on the fork tubes, paint's pretty good, and everything inside has been protected by a nice coat of grease.

Attachments

• xs400.jpg
    xs400.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 230
I love that shape of the tank on the older XS400 models :)

Nice to know this one is well taken care of. Yes, the carbs are usually the problem on all of our bikes so you're wise to take care of those first.

Have fun riding and caretaking! How long do you have it for do you think?

Welcome! Smart move to sign up all the info you need is here. I too registered before I even had the ownership slip in my hand! Your buddy sounds like he is down and wounded ...now go in for the kill and take that bike that wont run off his hands!

Back