Hi all!

jordan

1980 XS400H
Reaction score
Hello everyone and Merry Christmas

Christmas came a bit early for me this year in the form of a 1980 XS 400 special II. I picked it up two days ago off of craigslist for 400 and drove it home, about a 40 mile trip, in the rain. Everything seemed to work great, it started on the first kick (Found out the bat was dead later), no backfires or fouled plugs (it had been sitting in a backyard for 3 months), the carbs had pod filters on them. About half of the trip was on the interstate, where I noticed that the bike kind of surged a bit with the throttle all the way open, however it ran fine @ about 65-70mph. Fantastic little bike.
Now the bad news. Turn signals either wont work at all or work intermittently/ sometimes stay on (as in no blink, solid light) till turned off @ switch. Yesterday while the bike had been idling on the kickstand for a bit it shut off and started leaking a LARGE quantity of gasoline from both carbs (cant say where, this is my first non efi vehicle) may have been because i had the petcock in PRI:doh:, thought it meant primary. I R smarter now that i have read some posts here. Also the headlight stopped working (at idle) and then started again later, Batt issue?
There is a small knob under the carburator, what does it do?:shrug:
I will be posting pics later, and this is going to be my daily driver untill I get the parts to do a street tracker build and im freakin STOKED about that.:thumbsup:

Welcome! I think the turn signal might be a weak battery or a bad flasher relay. For the carbs I would clean them and get new float valves.

welcome jordan,
A new battery will cure the blinkers and headlamp issue as the battery is needed to drive the charging system and give the amps for the lighting.

pri is prime and will flood the carbs is left on. a quick tap on the float bowls will nudge recaltrient floats to do their bit.leave the tap to "on"

Welcome! My '80 is a "Special" with mag wheels. My son had an '81 Special II with spoke wheels and drum brakes F & R..
Yep, sounds like the idle speed adjust screw.

Last edited:
Still waiting for someone to show me a picture of an alleged Keihin carb stock on an XS400 or any sort of authoritative written source. Everything I have ever seen or read indicates they only came with Mikunis.

....and welcome.

Wow, I think I must have lost it! I just went to the garage to take a pic of my Keihin carbs on my '80 and found them to be Mikuni carbs. For the life of me I don't know where I got Keihin from and have been saying for some time mine had them. :banghead: My son's '81 is long gone to the Wash. DC area so I can't check his. Guess I have to eat crow on that one!! :doh: Edited my post to remove the reference to Keihin carbs.

Last edited:
Ok, put a new battery in it tody and the blinkers still dont work, so I guess I'll take them off for the state inspection. Can anyone email me a service/owners manual? Goetz.jordan@gmail.com. I would greatly appreciate it. The Headlight works fine now, that WAS a battery issue but the blinkers have a short somewhere and I dont have the patience/technical knowledge to sort it out atm. I will post pics of the bike soon. PO put pod filters on it, other than that it's pure stock. I have a set of drag bars Im going to slap on there and see how it feels, tuesday, probably. Merry christmas and thanks for the tips.
yes, i had found the idle adjust screw. This bike idles crazy low, like 800 rpm, put....put....putt...putt........putt. I moved it up to an even 1k.

found it, tym! Quick question, the 1980 model is DOHC yes? and lets just pretend I know what a cam is and why two of em should be on top...

i think dohc's came in '81 ( 2 "lumps" ontop of the engine) sohcs are flat topped if that description helps. just post us a picture of your bike instead of us guessing for you :thumbsup:

found it, tym! Quick question, the 1980 model is DOHC yes? and lets just pretend I know what a cam is and why two of em should be on top...

if you have an 80, you have a sohc, dohc came along in 82,

Wet sanded the cases, put on drag bars, cleaned the carbs (my bro shaun did all the technical stuff) front fender delete, turn signal delete, the bike looks clean! will post before and after pics after i get off work tonight. be blessed yall.

some before and after pics. Where can i get
1)rebuild kits for the carbs, and i want good quality stuff w/ copper/bronze floats, none of this plastic garbage. (one of my gloats is cracked, which may explain why thebike acts possessed.)
2)good website for tires, i want fat ones.
3)I want to up the cruising speed, what sprockets are recommended?
4)re-jetting info for when i put straight pipes on it.
Btw, I rode it around town for the first time yesterday, still cant get the grin off my face.
fun little bike.

Attachments

• IMG_0188.JPG
    IMG_0188.JPG
    289.2 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_0189.jpg
    IMG_0189.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_0191.jpg
    IMG_0191.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_0194.jpg