Hi from NJ

XS400NJ

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hello,

I recently got myself a blue 1980 XS400 Special 2 (XS400H I believe) that was sitting in the garage for years without use, and I am very thankful to the members here for helping me to put my bike to use (I was following many tips and instructions here). Thank you!

Here is the summary...
- changed oil, old oil was thin like water and smelled like gas.
- started, but would not run - left cylinder cold. Checked for spark - no spark, bad connection to coil. Fixed.
- started, but would not run - left cylinder still cold, while trying to start again noticed gas dripping from the right air filter. Carb is overflowing (that explained gas in the oil).
- took carbs out: Left is completely dead, nothing moves, nothing flows. Glue-like staff everywhere. Right is ok, but valve is not holding. Cleaned, soaked, poked all day... checked floats level, put it back.
-started, but after few min it died. Would not restart. Checked spark plugs - they are wet, but spark is there. Did not have new spark plugs so used old fashioned spark plug recovery - heated them with torch until red and let them cool down.

After that bike started and it ran, I could not be happier! It was rough.. sneezing and coughing.. but I could ride it.

In few days my online orders started to come, put in new spark plugs - what a difference! Much better ride, very little popping on deceleration (that I hope will go away as I empty the tank, which still has some old gas).

Replaced oil in front fork, checked valve clearances, cleaned and oiled chain&cables...

I have LCD lamps on order and will try to figure how to make turn signals working with LCDs. ( Currently my old battery can't survive stop lights together with turning signal. )

I am really impressed with the feel of this bike, it is pretty powerful for 400cc and it vibrates and sounds like bike should!!!

Safe riding to everyone!

Cheers!

Sam.

Welcome to the forum. Syncing the carbs with a manometer well help with it's running.

Here it is:
I believe it is all stock, missing cover on left side though...

Attachments

• bike.jpg
    bike.jpg
    324.8 KB · Views: 205
i see a few guys around me near in Asbury Park who have cafe'ed out xs400s and a few bobbed xs650s... more Honda CBs around me strong 'hipster' crowded in my neck of the woods.

Nice looking bike. Just got an 80 xs400 special. It's living at my parents place in Medford while I'm stationed in DC. Can't wait to get it running and on the road.

Nice looking bike. Just got an 80 xs400 special. It's living at my parents place in Medford while I'm stationed in DC. Can't wait to get it running and on the road.

Thanks! I think it looks nicer in the sun then it actually is. But it is a working little horse and I am happy with it :)

Enjoy yours, it should be pretty easy to get it running. (Just need some patience when cleaning those carbs).

Make sure to wear protective gear, those leaves on the road are very slippery...

Happy riding!

Thanks. The carbs have been soaking in safety clean through the week being checked often by my father. So far the floats are finally freely moving. Now to go through the seals, reassemble and install and tune.

If you see a black xs400 with an oversized goon riding in a Triumph jacket then you found me.

There are 4 of them to check. The two outer ones are easy to do. The inner ones are a bit harder. You have to split the carbs and remove the butterfly valves to slide out the shafts. Then you can get to the inner ones. Most people miss these.

Back