High beam turns on when Handle bars turn left

thlillyr

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hello every bodody. Just got my first motorcycle 2 days ago. A seca 400. Couple of questions about this but first my electrical issue.I know lots of car tech but nothing about bikes so gonna need some help.

After driving it around and it's warmed up when I turn it off but leave the key on if i turn the handlebars all the way to the left like when it's on its kick stand the high beam turns on. And it goes off when i straighten them out. It only seems to happen when the bike is warmed up. Any guesses? I'm sure it's a short but could someone help me find it?

Also How can I tell if it's an xs400 and not like a 400R or something?

also the bottom corner of the tank looks a little rusty and appears wet and smells of gas. Is there a way to patch this or could the carbs be blowing gas onto it?

Sounds like the headlight wiring has a break in the insulation somewhere, probably where the wires snake down around the steering head such that the high beam wire is getting power from somewhere. I would guess there because that's where the wires move the most when the bars are turned to one side.

As for the gas leak, if the leak is not around the petcock, I would guess a rust pinhole in the tank. If it is small enough, a liquid tank seal kit from Eastwood (or equivalent) may be the ticket.

http://www.eastwood.com/ew-gas-tank-sealer-kits-for-cycles.html

Good luck!

Back