Hillbilly Ultrasonic cleaner

I've watched a number of his "informative" presentations. They all sound very plausible. Most are amusing and all but a few are outright dangerous. At first, we couldn't tell if it was supposed to be very dry humor, but have decided that he is completely serious. One way to thin out the gene pool. Look for a future appearance on the Darwin Award list.

I think his ability to rig something up is very good to excellent. But think it through before you give it a go. I question the bonding ability of the velcro. A glass jar with acid in it will have interesting consequences when it comes off.

I also think using CLR and leaving the petcock completely assembled could be improved on. Zamac ( the zinc/aluminum alloy of the petcock) will have a tough life in an acid wash. The CLR would do this without the sander.

You want to watch the rest of his presentations. A little bit of knowledge is a scary thing, but he is very resourceful.

I especially like the frame mod ones (cross brace, we don't need no steekin' cross brace!)

The one I really like is where where he shows new rough 20 grit (ish) brake pads that automatically have to be a step up on the smooth ones he found on the bike. Perhaps he should find employment at Brembo or Nissin. His discussion concerning stopping power is interesting. He makes the case that stopping power is directly proportional to the roughness of the friction material. (I wouldn't take that advice)

He wouldn't touch my stuff. Nor be in the same room with it. But it is fun to watch. Follow his instructions at your own risk.

I think its an cool idea ,Id be willing to try it except I would remove any plastic or rubber parts before cleaning any parts with the clr or any other mix.

I use the Ultra sonic cleaner I got from Harbor Freight and it works well...Plus I take the carbs or what have you apart, lot of nooks and crannies that will get cleaned out better...Hate to come back after an hour with the "Joe Magee rig"and find just gray powder:wtf: in the water solution in the jug...Ha....Spad

Don't have a soda blaster nor the cash to buy that or a ultrasonic cleaner.I have an electric sander though and large jar perfect for making the setup.CLR is easy to get and doesn't cost that much.If you clean a carb you going to be taking it apart anyway no mater how you clean it.

Don't have a soda blaster nor the cash to buy that or a ultrasonic cleaner.I have an electric sander though and large jar perfect for making the setup.CLR is easy to get and doesn't cost that much.If you clean a carb you going to be taking it apart anyway no mater how you clean it.

Let us know how you go then champ!!

This really won't do much. All the sander will do is adgetate the water. Much like stirring it would do. Ultrasonic cleaner operate at 40k hertz I don't imagine a sander going above a few thousand meaning its not close go ultrasonic. Ultrasonic works by creating ultrasonic waves thst create voids between matter which causes little tiny explosions! that clean so good. Science is cool huh? :)

I agree with Hishman, but have to wonder... What if small ceramic beads (Dynabeads?) were added to the cleaning solution? And heat? The beads would polish the items, and the heat would increase the rate of chemical cleaning. Of course, by the time one went to all this trouble, a small ultrasonic cleaner would be looking rather simple and probably not much more expensive. None the less, it would be an interesting contraption... ;)

I would bet that the addition of each "what if" to the process will improve the result slightly - but it will likely fall short of what 40k hertz would do. But that's what makes Josha's name for the contraption spot on!

In that Hillybilly spirit, I propose that a dyna-bead equipped jar of heated CLR be velcro'd to the tweeters on xschris' speaker tower.
Then, with xschris performing a high register guitar solo with full feedback - fed into his Behringer gmx212 50W combo amp, then run through his BBE 482 sonic maximizer and a dbx 215 equalizer and then into the Peavey classic 100 all tube amp (turned up to "11") . :yikes: .

Still a tad short of 40k hertz but a big improvement on the sander! Rock on ... :wink2:

Last edited:
I would bet that the addition of each "what if" to the process will improve the result slightly - but it will likely fall short of what 40k hertz would do. But that's what makes Josha's name for the contraption spot on!

In that Hillybilly spirit, I propose that a dyna-bead equipped jar of heated CLR be velcro'd to the tweeters on xschris' speaker tower.
Then, with xschris performing a high register guitar solo with full feedback - fed into his Behringer gmx212 50W combo amp, then run through his BBE 482 sonic maximizer and a dbx 215 equalizer and then into the Peavey classic 100 all tube amp (turned up to "11") . :yikes: .

Still a tad short of 40k hertz but a big improvement on the sander! Rock on ... :wink2:

do you mean something like this?

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&s...2oC4CA&usg=AFQjCNHMp-5MbsahyP2GIj4hkKzwscxlfA

Posted via Mobile

Probably that's the right intensity, and it would clean most carbs. However, these are xs400 carbs - so I think we would need more controlled "sustain".
We really should ask xsChris, since he's the carb expert with the most guitar toys, though I'm betting one of these Marshalls will do the trick:

https://www.google.ca/#q=spinal+tap+youtube
. . . .

Last edited:
At first I thought he was going to put Sonicare toothbrush in a container of water.

Actually, he'd probably get better results that way. ;)

you guys heard the saying"dont knock it till you try it"Someone should do the experiment and see if it realy works?I dont have any parts to clean but maybe someone who needs to clean their carbs could try it.:shrug:

There's no point in doing an experiment. As stated before, ultrasonic cleaners operate on a specific frequency. The set up he's rigging together doesn't.

As someone who has used an ultra sonic emulsifier at university, i can you this is far off being able to accomplish the same thing. As stated by someone above the point of the ultra sonic part is to cavitate the water. The cavitation is what cleans the part, which is to say the air or voids created is what removes the rust and hard to remove gunk.

This contraption is essentially working like a wash machine, it moves the water or cleaner over the part enough times, with some force, while the cleaner loosens the grime that it comes off. I can see this working to clean stuff about as good as hand rubbing it with a cloth would work, so it might save that step but in no way replaces an ultra sonic clean any more then hand cleaning does.

Back