Hold Fast Motors "black and tan" Scrambler Build

quikyx

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I’m Andy Hull I started riding and modifying bikes when I was 15, started out with a old Tomos Silver Bullet moped. I went from two wheels into four wheels then decided that four wheels consumed to much space in my little shop/garage and I returned to the roots 2 years ago when I started picking up motorcycles again. I now have 11 bikes in the garage some including my old moped I just recently stumbled across and bought back. I’m a painter by trade, houses and businesses not cars or motorcycles. I actually went to school to be a Cylinder head machinist but some how took up painting instead. I worked as a mechanic for a few years out of high school and it started to kill my love for working on things so I took up painting with my father, but I did not kill the love of metal and bolts when I did this.

I brought all my tools home and started to tinker with some older motorcycles and found that it just invigorated me. I sold my first bike last winter it was a slightly modified Kawasaki KZ400 and that was the beginning of Hold Fast Motors.

I bought this 1979 XS400 from an old farmer a few hours from my home town, he had been letting his grand kids ride it all over the farm so when I got the bike it looked like it had gone through a tropical storm. I rolled it off the truck and began by ditching everything that was not essential to what I wanted to build. I started with the frame, I removed the rear shock stays and re-mounted them more forward on the frame thus lifting the rear of the bike a good 2 inches. The rear frame hoop was chopped off and a new custom hand made hoop was made, I then had a good friend build me a seat pan to fit the shorter frame section and re upholstered it in a black and tan. The seat was really what the bikes color scheme was based off I loved the contrast of color it had so I spread it through the bike. The tank was the next to be modified I read an article online about adding knee dents to tanks and I loved the look of old cafe racers with the knee dents, so I decided to do that. After some good hammering and body work it was right where I wanted it. I sent it over to a good friend and pinstripper Jeremy Pedersen of Relic Kustoms where he added the Hold Fast Motors badge on the sides and added some highlights with some well laid lines. The frame was then sprayed in a gloss black and set aside to be assembled.

When I got the bike it had an issue with the electric starter and kick starter. I pulled the engine because I was going to freshen it up anyways, and when I opened the side case I found a sheared off kick starter journal. This through a hammer in my progress needless to say, I started searching online for a set of engine cases to swap my internals into. After a few weeks I found a set of low mile cases on eBay and had them sent to me. I reassembled the engine and gave it a good coat of flat black engine paint. I ditched the stock mufflers and instead made some custom turn downs with home made screw in baffles for back pressure. The engine sucked in through a pair of stock carbs re-jetted for the XS Performance pod filters. I hated the look of the battery just hanging out under the seat so I had Nick Pedersen make me up a leather battery surround with a pocket on one side and a compartment for all the essential wires and fuses to be tucked into on the opposite side.

The wheels of the yamaha xs400 custom are stock just repainted to match the rest of the bike and the tires are some knobby dual purpose kenda rubbers I found online. The steering is done with a old vintage set of motocross handle bars. I ditched the stock head light and went with a smaller chrome unit I found on craigslist. The stock speedo and tach were destroyed from the farmers grand kids so I bought a mini speedo and mounted it up on the top triple tree.

76467.jpg

291865_513313768680887_843158210_n.jpg

405000_513313032014294_1429868829_n.jpg

P1040042-Medium-620x414.jpg

Thanks everyone! Broke the throttle cable I was using last weekend though, and of course it was just a throttle off another bike in the shop and not a stock xs400 one because I got rid of the stock throttle assembly and put a threaded one on.... so now I am on the hunt to find a different throttle.

Very creative and tasteful. :thumbsup: Welcome to the Forum.
... and of course it was just a throttle off another bike in the shop and not a stock xs400 one because I got rid of the stock throttle assembly and put a threaded one on ...
(= Murphy's Law)

Might I suggest (only) 10 bikes in the garage and a small sort-term storage cupboard for "unwanted" parts? (pending re-sale during the transition between initial inspiration and final commissioning only of course) :wink2:

Quikyx, what throttle assembly are you using?

I wanted to use a cheap one I found from Dennis and Kirk, but I have to make my own throttle cable.

I'm new to all this bike fixing and modding but it's wicked fun.

Back