Holy Crap I've Never Seen One!

snakeub

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Until today I hadn't even heard of this bike. Now I own one and holy hell...:yikes: I love this thing. Its a 78 already cafe'd out and i plan for more mods and tweaks. I'd love some ideas and pics of custom mods out there. Take a look.

full

I do plan on removing the emblems and repainting the tank. I'm stuck between a flashy cafe racer or a dull, dirty, ratted out little beast. Love some input.

One question though: Is there any other wheels that can go on here to get a wider tire? IE: 130-140

Oh yeah and holy shit this thing is LOUD I love it.:thumbsup:

The stock rear wheel was a 16" that came with a 130 tire. Looks like somebody has done the 19 inch front wheel to rear wheel conversion on your bike. I like it. It won't have the right cafe stance with the stock wheel, unless you get a set of standard wire wheels that came in the 19" front and 18" rear.

xs400's 1977-79 came with 18" front and rear wheels spoke or cast. The 80-82 came 18" front 16" rear spoke or cast. The xs650 had the 19" front wheel.

Stock rear tire from '80 was 120/90x16. My son has a 130/90 on his '81. It is a tight squeeze on the rim but will work. Anything wider than that is a no no. Some folks don't even recommend a 130 on the stock rim.

Is that a rear disc brake? If so, you have a '77-79 rear wheel which was available with disc brake on specific models and was the 18" size.

Looks like stock 18" disk brake alloys to me....the same ones I have. Looks like a good starting point.

Good luck!

Looks great man. The seat is nice and flat. Tail light lamp looks a bit awkward, you might be able to mount a flush LED light back there.

Back