How Do I Check the Diode?

Oleschool

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been tracing wires in my harness and found what appears to be a diode buried under the factory tape.Its protected by a clear plastic tube. How can I confirm it is working properly.I do have a multi meter.

If you have a decent meter it should have a continuity function, or a diode function. Continuity will beep one way and not the other if the diode is good. The diode test function will do pretty much the same, but give you a voltage drop reading.

You can do a resistance test as well, but it doesn't always have predictable results and you really would need a good diode to compare.

I checked the continuity and got a reading of .538 volt .Seeing as it only reads one way I presume it means the diode is good.

Just wondering what you are trying to find? I read your other thread. You should get no headlight or gauge lights with the motor not running. When you start the motor running, a relay trips and then the lights come on via a latching relay. The reason for this is easier starting by allowing the starter and ignition to utilize the battery better before the stator gets spinning.

Are you not getting lights with the bike running?

I bought the bike and never heard it run.I started it once before taking it apart but never paid attention to details like whether the headlight was on with just the key on.My wiring was chopped up pretty good and I started removing the butchery but then ran into a couple of issues as described in my other posts.

After removing some questionable connections and wiring,I ran the bike last nite and feel that all circuits are working.My tank is off and getting fixed,so I had to rig up a temporary one.

Thanks for the help,

Back