How do I go Black?

covertune

XS400 Member
Reaction score
This is my beautiful '83 Maxim, all stock except for the obvious accessories you see (top kit, saddlebags, windshield and grips). I'm not interested in chopping it, but what I'd really love to do is black it out… bars, signals, engine, exhaust, headers.. everything. However, I have zero experience with automotive painting and limited mechanical experience. I really don't want the finished product to look like a cheap back yard "hack job", but I don't think I can afford to have it professionally done (although I should really look into that, lol).

Anyway… what's your advice/recommendations for doing this? Tank and fenders can stay gloss, but I think I'd like everything else matte. My mufflers are also a bit rotten and I think I'd like to go with a new 2-into-1 system, it looks like the Mac system can come with black headers so I may not have to worry about that.

Attachments

• IMG_9846.jpg
    IMG_9846.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 393
best to paint the engine like the UK versions. my mate has one and its in satin black.
don't do anything like this though
hqdefault.jpg

Read through all of Drewpy's threads ;) You just have to spray it on and start the engine for a bit as far as I'm aware! You can take it apart and bake it too but that would suck unless you were doing a top end rebuild anyway, imo

Things that aren't engine though? Powder coat for sure!

I think your motor looks fine. A black spray bombed motor is kind of ghetto in my opinion But that's up to you. If you exhaust is bad then replace it with what you can afford. The stock setups will work the best under a wider torque/hp range than a basic aftermarket one. Also the bike will not need any carb mods to "run right":wink2:

Back