How do my plugs look?

Lou Ranger

Former xs400 Luddite
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I've put nearly 4,000 kms (2,500 miles) on my Maxima dohc since I got it. Today I pulled the plugs to inspect (photo attached).

The one on the left came from the left side cylinder - whose carb has the fuel line input. The one on the right came from the right side cylinder.

There is and has always been (since I got it) some mild discolouration on the front of the header pipes (a slight gold tinge). It extends slightly farther along the pipe from the right cylinder.
Anything to worry about? :shrug: (If these plugs came out of any of my old cars I'd be thrilled)

Attachments

• Plugs, Maxim, L-R.JPG
    Plugs, Maxim, L-R.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 140
Agreed, the left does look a bit rich, and I can't really tell if the one on the right is tan or more on the white side. Do you have a closer up picture of the electrodes?

Thanks very much guys. I was hoping for a nothing-to-fix consensus.

The bike performs really well (though I have nothing to compare it to) - certainly to my satisfaction and I want to keep the dust out, the oil in and the adjustments adjusted so it stays this way as long as possible. I did replace the plugs in the opposite cylinders thinking it would be interesting to see if they will swap appearances after a long ride.
Biggest problem was finding a wrench that would work on them. Every one of my SAE plug wrenches did NOT fit.

Looks fine enough Lou. You might want to replace them just to have a clear baseline, but eh. If it runs ok don't worry.

I'll be pulling my plugs this monday probably and I'll post pics so we can compare and over analyze things. :)

Looks fine enough Lou. You might want to replace them just to have a clear baseline, but eh. If it runs ok don't worry.
I'll be pulling my plugs this monday probably and I'll post pics so we can compare and over analyze things. :)
:laugh: How the hell is it that you know me so well? I am not worried, but oh I do love to over analyze things.
Okay! Until Monday, I am going to pull the plug on the analyze engine in my brain :yikes: and concentrate on trying to run through another couple of tanks of gas. :bike:

added mine for reference. Looks like mine is identical to yours.. richer on one side

Attachments

• IMG_2068.JPG
    IMG_2068.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_2071.JPG
    IMG_2071.JPG
    161.1 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_2073.JPG
    IMG_2073.JPG
    142.5 KB · Views: 126
Those look a bit ashy; your valve stem seals are probably leaky; put an engine gasket set on your to do list; it's nothing to be terribly concerned about.

Back