How many horespowers, really?

Stabler

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hi gang.

I was going through the documentation on my build and stumbled across the kW/HP number stated in the registration.

My registration says 26 kW, but when I look up my model on bikez.com I get 19,7 kW. :wtf: It sure feels like the 26 kW (I've had a Suzuki Savage with the same amount of kW before and it felt somewhat similar to drive).

Can anyone clearify this? It's an 1982 XS400 SE 4G5.

Thanks, Stabler.

Yea, well, it's like 12 degrees F so I don't wanna take a ride for 40 miles just to find out. Thought someone here would know..

I believe our U.S. models are listed as 26 HP, or something close to that. Yes, it does feel about right. My last scoot was 18+, single cylinder. With 2 cylinders and increased torque, this has much more pep.

The xs360 was rated at 36hp ( u.s. models) so I would think the 400 would be around there as well.

None of my manuals even list that model.I have a Yamaha manual for '82 models,and don't list it either.Is it a SOHC,instead of DOHC? Even the Yamaha manuals don't list HP for these bikes,so I don't know. lha

Well my registration paper states 26 kW and 35 hp. Still not getting anywhere on this one..
Any other ideas?

I know some of the euro models came with a lower hp cam witch dropped them to like 27hp or something. :shrug:

Back