How many miles on your xs?

This happened the other day. It is a replacement speedo, but it's about right. The old one had 30,000 km when it froze.

Attachments

• IMG_1332.jpg
    IMG_1332.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 296
82' 400xs Seca - Currently at 46,000KM's, (28,500 miles) owned for the last 23 years. Still doing long rides, had one a few weeks ago - 9 hours straight - 850km's total (from Toronto to Pennsylvania and back, stopped two times for gas, thing just keeps on going. Last year did a three day 1700 km trip throught Northern Ontario, only issue was a sore bum.

Only thing done internally in the motor for the last 23 years is I checks the valves, they were fine. Externally cleaned the carbs once and rejetted (rebuilt carb while I was at it) since I added a new exhaust (old ones finally rusted), then just regular maintence, oil, new chain, sprokets, pads and good winterizations.

Been very tempted to buy a new bike, this is the only road bike I've ever owned (got it when I was 16), but can't stand to let it go. Guess she's just my high school sweetheart:wink2:

My XS has 79000 km now.
I made an almost complete rebuild in 2005, everything except the engine. The engine got only new gaskets for the side covers and the cylinder head.

I think a lot of these bikes being as old as they are unless you are the original own or had the complete history of the bike would be hard to tell the real mileage. People change speedo's and or had engine work done that sort of stuff. I had a friend sell a honda cb750 with 34k miles on it but the speedo read 19k because the original one broke.

My 79 250 has 46,000km before i pulled it down and went 400 and it was still original bore and there is not a mark on the mains, some cam and follower wear though.
I met a bloke who owned a wrecking yard for 30 years and he recons they were pretty bulletproof. He said the ignition advance would sometimes fail and hammer the mains and the planetary gears in the starter motor but thats about it.

85,304 km

or 53,005 miles

since 1989, but I've only owned it for the last 6 months. But I guess this has been the main means of transportation for pretty much all owners before me..

Back