How much oil leakage is normal

Yamabond kicks ass:thumbsup:

Attachments

• DSC02429.jpg
    DSC02429.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 304
I have to say it. Zero oil leakage is "normal".

Ok now that’s out of the way this is how I would go about looking in to.
1. Clean the outside of the engine. Simple green, engine degrease, pressure wash etc. however you wish to clean it.
2. I would then run it and look for visible oil leaks on the engine.
2b. if you cannot see them for any reason go buy the engine oil UV dye run it in the engine for a minute. Use a UV light and look for green glowing stuff. This will be the leak. ;)
3. Find the right seal or gasket and replace. If it’s an oil seal use the screw and pull trick if the seal allows it. A dent pulled with a screw tip is a wonder if you have room. Meaning no shafts in the way, etc. if it is a gasket than i would use a replace it as well if easily accessible. Meaning anything that does not involving the motor being pulled, unless of course i am dumping a quart a day. :O
4. After all seals are replaced and/or gaskets ride and enjoy.

P.s. any sealant globed on the outside will fall off in time no matter how good it claims to be on the internet. Lol.

Last edited:
Wow, great forum. Thanks for all the responses. It's great
to be riding again for the first time in a long time.

Bring on the spring!

J

Oil not at the spot it leaking. The whole motor is tilted forward. so the leak must be in the back.
Hadn't thought of the front/back angle change, good notion.
I assumed the leak must be part way up on the left side - able to drip out when it's leaned over on the side stand, but leveling out below the breach when it's vertical on the centre stand.

My son helped me change oil & filter, cleaned up area where there was a build
up grease and oil, it appears to be coming from the back of the case where two
wires/cables are run. I cannot see too well on the back left.
What would be the possible cause back there? Still no drips while on center
stand. On to chain cleaning & lubricant. Anyone use Motol chain paste ?

There is always a good chance that the cause is the push-rod oil seal. It's a very common leak and tends to resolve when the engine has been sitting and the oil is cold. It will drip down the entire side of the engine and run down the kick stand, etc. The leak will improve on the center stand as well due to the oil level. When the oil is settled and the bike is vertical on the center stand the level will usually sit just below the push-rod oil seal I believe!

check these three things. first take off the left side cover, not the cirlce one but the whole side that covers the stator, thats where those wires go to clean and remove all old gasket sealer and degrease the bushing, use some yama bond on it to reseal well. then check and most likely replace the pushrod oil seal. its the orange one next to the front sprocket. also theres a single wire thats run to a screw right blow the sprocket that is your neutral switch it uses three screws to hold it on thats how youll know its it, it has an oring replace that too. if your bike still leaks ill give you mine haha

My son helped me change oil & filter, cleaned up area where there was a build
up grease and oil, it appears to be coming from the back of the case where two
wires/cables are run. I cannot see too well on the back left.
What would be the possible cause back there? Still no drips while on center
stand. On to chain cleaning & lubricant. Anyone use Motol chain paste ?

Didnt see this before, but yes thats the cover im talking about there a bushing those wires run thru and behind it is your stator/alternator whatevr you wanna call it. that bushing wears out from heat and such you can try finding a replacement but most likely just use new yamabond around it

Back