How Tight Should Exhaust be at Engine?

63-Coupe

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Finally got around to getting a pair of exhaust gaskets for my 82 XS400SJ. Just how much do I tighten the nuts on the studs? Do I just get them as tight as I reasonably can in order to crush the gaskets into shape? Is there a lbs./ft. torque value that I should be using?

yes, i believe there will be torque specs in the manual. download the PDF under news and info. should help you out. and BTW i despise you for owning a split window. i want one. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO bad.

i have cousins in ontario. i drive up there to visit fam every now and then, give me your address and i can take care of it for you. just say the word. lol

Yamaha manual lists General Torque Specs as:
10mm nut -.6 m-kg / 4.5 Ft-lb
12mm - 1.5 / 11
14 mm - 3.0 / 22
17 mm - 5.5 / 40

Torque generally measured on 'clean suface' [not oiled or rusted]

In another torque section it says, "Exhaust pipe 8mm nut - 2.2 / 16"
Which is strange 'cause the header nuts on my '80 model are 12mm.
I go with the 1.5 metric/ 11 Ft/lb, hoping not to shear, jamb or strip something in the steel/aluminum interface.

Not like anything will make too big a mess if it loosens. My headers loop through a crash bar and besides, the noise of an open joint would alert me long before anything fell off.
I'm more worried about the rusty parts, nails, and beer bottles shedding off that clunker PU in front of me - the one whose driver has a cell-fone in one hand and a tit in the other.:eek:

Last edited:
dang is that all for torque. I probably tripled that. I had an exhaust leak from one side at that connection and that was with new gaskets. :^P

You may use a 12mm wrench, but the stud itself should be 8mm.

Could be a typo - the manual usually lists both nut and matching bolt-shaft but this time just says 'nut' :shrug:

Still seems like a lot of stress to put on aluminum/steel threads in a non-critical application.

Back