how to attach front brake switch to aftermarket brake levers?

infafscottlio

XS400 Member
Reaction score
hello new friends! I have been a member for a little while now and have posted once or twice in the past but have yet to introduce myself/my bike. I bought my first bike ('80 xs400g special ll) for 200 bucks from a salvage yard. it was a steal for sure as it only has 6k miles and hadn't ran for 28 years or so but with 15 minutes of kicking, got it to start and run not too bad. I have made a few aesthetic mods as well as cut the frame shorter in the tail to accommodate the new seat/tail piece i am in the process of fabricating with a friend. have a new integrated smoked tail light that im excited to install as i have yet to see another xs with it. will hopefully be lowering the forks a bit but we'll see as it gets closer to completion. The pic below is the most recent one i have. I have a new set of brass shorty mufflers i will eventually install and will be replacing the side covers with some brass ones i will be fabricating soon and i will engrave the "special ll" logo on them to keep some of the classic integrity (feel free to steal that idea, i think it would look awesome in chrome as well). will also be replacing foot pegs/other accents with brass and going with flat black paint so the bike will have a black/antique brass theme goin on. going with a springer seat (i know its unusual for soft tails but i dig the look and have another 400 frame that i will hardtail for my next project) that will be upholstered with oxblood leather, will have laced seems and will have my band's logo engraved on it. Shameless plug: (www.facebook.com/infaf for those interested. called In Fear And Faith. we are relatively big in the hardcore/screamo scene) But all of that is beside the point because we're all here to talk about how awesome yamaha xs400s are and they are pretty fuckin sweet.

So now that i've properly introduced myself, I am looking for some guidance on something that i somewhat overlooked as i didnt come to think about it until i started wiring in my new turn signal/throttle side switches. I havent come across any how to's discussing this so i figured i'd bring my issue straight to you guys.

I switched out my stock brake/clutch levers for some shorty's and didnt account for the fact that the new ones dont have a slot for the front brake switch to attach. Im looking for the proper way to attach the brake switch to the new lever so my brake will light up when engaged and i'm stumped i guess. if anyone has dealt with this before or can provide me with some insight, that would be much appreciated. (unfortunatly the clutch lever isn't on the bike in this pic) if a specific pic of the levers is needed i'll be happy to post.

im sure by the time i'm finished with the bike i will be able to contribute, or at least be able to regurgitate what i learn here haha, but for now i'm just soaking it all in. sorry if this was already covered in a different thread, but then at least now I'm officially here haha.

hopefully this image shows up correctly:

thanks in advance!

you can get hydraulic brake switches built into the brake banjo fittings and seeing as you are re wiring, its not a big deal to do.

BL992-31C_20Product.jpg

will that work with drum brakes? as im researching, it seems to be specific for disc but i may be wrong. if not, any other suggestions?

Bump!
I've got the same problem. I bought some of those shorty levers from dime city without thinking about it, now i'm worried I wasted money and wont be able to connect a light. I have drums up front too

Ya its weird that theres no common relatively simple solution. over the next week or so Im going to try and see if i can drill a slot into the lever clamp and try and emulate the way it mounts in the stock lever. If im successful i'll let you know exactly how i did it. If you happen to figure something out let me know. We're in this together! hah

hey nbriles2000, i found this website that has an option that just might work. instead of drilling a hole in my perch, i might just order this new one that looks exactly like my aftermarket one just that it looks like it has a brake switch slot, and a 10mm threaded mirror mount hole, which i really dont care for but could always just cap it with a gold or black flat bolt or maybe grind it of and refinish it. But right now this looks like my most ideal option. hopefully this is what you were looking for too.

click the link below and once at the page, scroll down to the 4th product listed:

https://cyclewareables.com/pages/clutch_perch_levers/clutch_perch_levers_offroad.htm

pic:
one_piece_perch.jpg

shit. i can't figure out how to attach an image in these posts. i go to "insert image" then i past in the url from the page i found it on, since there doesn't seem to be a way to upload a saved picture from your hard drive. i'll try again:

one_piece_perch.jpg

That looks nearly perfect!!! So what's the difference between the Yamaha with 10mm mirror hole 1 piece and the yamaha 2 piece? I think I'm going to jump on the wagon with you guys! I'm thinking about putting bar end mirrors on, I'm just not sure if they'll work with the Yamaha Special bar... but I love what you found!!!

I just sent my bike to the shop to get some electrical work done and a new rear tire so I'm gonna see what they come up with to fix the problem. I wish i could find something mechanical that attaches to drum itself, but I'm probably out of luck and will have to buy a new perch >.<

what about modifying this?

brakelightswitch.jpg

Classic style brakelight switch can be used on any drum brake rear wheel. Pt.no. SW11043 £7.95

take off the clamp and fix the unit to the front guard mount and run the spring to the lever to actuate the switch?

do you have to have a front brake switch? in the UK pre 1981 bikes only needs a rear!

wonder if you could get another rear brake stay that fits on the rear engine mount and put that on the front guard mount. Then use a standard rear switch!

drewpy, thats funny that you mention that because i actually sent an email to a company that sells those last night and asked if they have had any experience with applying it to the front brake. still waiting for a reply. but ya in California you need both and i've had shit luck lately with cops. those seem like some pretty cool ideas though, i'll think em over. what is your stance on the lever perches i posted a few spots up? they're basically stock just a little more sleek.

That looks nearly perfect!!! So what's the difference between the Yamaha with 10mm mirror hole 1 piece and the yamaha 2 piece? I think I'm going to jump on the wagon with you guys! I'm thinking about putting bar end mirrors on, I'm just not sure if they'll work with the Yamaha Special bar... but I love what you found!!!

1greghouse, the difference is that the one piece is the one in the picture, and it is all one solid piece and the part that attaches to the handlebar is round and slides on, whereas the 2 piece, if you scroll up a little on the page you'll see a different item that says 2piece perch that you attach to the bar with 2 pieces. it just refers to the way the perch attaches to the bar. But i have that exact 2 piece perch on my bike now and it is what is causing the issue so im not sure why they would have even listed it in the one piece with 10mm hole category. I'm going to call them and make sure that the one piece has a switch slot since although its in the picture, its not mentioned in the description. and now that i notice, its actually only on the black one not the silver one which kinda makes me think the black pic is wrong. super bummed if thats the case. I'll let you know what i find, so just hold off for a bit on buying it.

Oem setup for front drum brakes.

I actually still have my stock one but it seems much more bulky than the aftermarket one above. Where did you get that mirror hole plug? I have bar end mirrors so I definitely want to cap that hole

1greghouse, the difference is that the one piece is the one in the picture, and it is all one solid piece and the part that attaches to the handlebar is round and slides on, whereas the 2 piece, if you scroll up a little on the page you'll see a different item that says 2piece perch that you attach to the bar with 2 pieces. it just refers to the way the perch attaches to the bar. But i have that exact 2 piece perch on my bike now and it is what is causing the issue so im not sure why they would have even listed it in the one piece with 10mm hole category. I'm going to call them and make sure that the one piece has a switch slot since although its in the picture, its not mentioned in the description. and now that i notice, its actually only on the black one not the silver one which kinda makes me think the black pic is wrong. super bummed if thats the case. I'll let you know what i find, so just hold off for a bit on buying it.

Hey infafscottlio, any word on those parts? I spent the end of this week in the garage with my bike, and after sitting on it and moving some things around, the mirrors mounted on the perch is actually the best way to go with my handlebars. Just wondering if that break switch will work, and then if it will work for the clutch side as well. I don't want to be pushy, just learning still.

Thank you so much for all of your help!!!

Back