How to remove Acorn nuts, for a Top End Rebuild

arfstrom

XS400 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Hi guys/Gals, I have had the same trouble as everyone else, it was hard to remove the cylinder head. I ended up using a T-lug nut wrench. as in this video.
I set the privacy so that you can only get to it from a link.

3/8 inch rachet, with a Size M14 Deepwell socket. and the 4 way lug nut wrench.

Post on here if it doesnt work for you. I can convert the format to something else.

That is one of the best ways to destroy a ratchet. why not just use a 1/2 drive breaker bar to crack them loose then spin off with the ratchet??

Dude you should be going around in a star pattern undoing each nut little by little (its in the manual). I just used a long torque wrench because it has the extra leverage, and having someone else there to hole the motor is important too so you have both hands, one to ensure the socket is well seated, and the other to pull on the wrench.

Thats why you had trouble getting them off cause you trying to get them off one at a time, and your trying to hold the motor at the same time. They should be undone evenly. You just go around in a star pattern and when you hear that little crack sound, move on to the next one and do the same until they all start to come undone easily.

Note to Travis: Do not put this video in the how to section, unless you want a how to strip your acorn nuts tutorial :laugh:

Last edited:
I agree with the star pattern :wink2: There is a lot of pressure on the studs.

Its a craftsmans ratchet, from sears, they would warrentee it, One of the thread, came from drewpy where he recommended a 6 sided imperial. I thought I took my time, and did it little by little, like the manual stated in reverse order. It took me too takes for the video. After trying the other options, and not having a longer breaker bar, and less money for one. I guessed the 12 point star pattern was more apt for rounding bolts.

Other options was Impact driver, Torque with setting at max.

Back