How to replace a tire?

HenryJenkins

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Duluth, MN, USA / Salvador da Bahia, Brazil.
So tomorrow I am hoping to replace my back tire (I have a new one, the old one holds air for about 30 min). I am going to string up my bike from the rafters of my garage I think, as well as using some jacks, but after that I will have no idea what I am doing.

I have changed bike tires before, and I assume it is at least a little bit like that. Can anyone walk me through this procedure? Anyone got any helpful tips? Anything that you did wrong that I should avoid?

Thanks in advance,

-Henry.

I just replaced my tire and it is the exact same as replacing a bicycle tire but on a larger scale and much more elbow grease is required. I used screw drivers (not recommended but I was in a pinch and had a lot of experience with bicycle tires). I would highly recommend buying motorcycle tire levers and rim protectors because shops around here charge $35 - $70 to replace a tire. So those are good investments and relatively cheap.

I just used 2 small floor jacks and lifted the back end of my bike from the center stand (this was a pain but it worked). You only need to lift it high enough to drop the wheel from the stays and get enough slack to slip the chain off the sprocket.

After that just make sure you use a lot of windex to help the tires slip on and off. Before I started to pry my old tire off I sprayed the bead down with windex and pressed all around the tire to break the bead. Then I used patience and elbow grease. Be careful because it's pretty easy to scratch up your rim :) Good luck.

It's not very hard to do,but you have to be careful,and when taking off the tire,break the bead[the hold that the tire has on the rim].After doing this,push one side of the tire in until it is in the area of the spokes,making it easier to force the other side over and out of the rim.Get some rim savers,plastic pieces that fit over the rim to prevent damage to rim.I use dish soap with a small paint brush to lubricate the tire,so that it slides easier.I also use 3 tire tools,and removed sharp edges with a file to prevent damage to tubes.On my tires,there were rim locks to prevent the tire from spinning due to torque or braking pressure.Good luck. lha

a fun little trick to get the new tire to re-seat on the bead is to get the tire in the rim and give it a quick spray of carb cleaner inside it. Next, throw a lit match at it. Tire will re-seat and maybe jump 5 ft into the air.

Back