How to take off the oil level window

foul

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok so i need to take the window off because i want to get the cases anodized.
How do i do it without breaking anything?

Cheers!

I meant i want to take the window off, get it anodized and put the window back on.

I have the same issue, I am having my cases tumbled. I am going to just protect the areas, like the gasket area.

Ok did some research on the web and it seems the windows are just pressed in on other bikes, so i will try to tap it out gently.

On a side note, getting out old fork seals has turned out to be a real nightmare.

On a side note, getting out old fork seals has turned out to be a real nightmare.

they certainly are my friend.

make sure the stantion is out first, take off the circlip.

heat up the outside of the lower tube to soften the rubber

drill a small hole in the old seal and srew in a self tapper screw

pull the bitch out :yikes:

yep they are buggers to remove

I tapped the window out, i put a similar sized socket into the hole with a cloth under it and then just tapped it out.
The seal is in so and so condition with a small tear but i think i can reuse it with some engine silicone added for extra protection.

edit:
Thanks Drewpy, with your tip the seals were out in 15mins xD

Last edited:
I tapped the window out, i put a similar sized socket into the hole with a cloth under it and then just tapped it out.
The seal is in so and so condition with a small tear but i think i can reuse it with some engine silicone added for extra protection.

edit:
Thanks Drewpy, with your tip the seals were out in 15mins xD
I just used a slide hammer on the fork seals,removed the tubes,put an angled puller on,and popped it out. lha

Last edited:
Back