Hydraulic front brake

NewHavenMike

1976 XS360C
Top Contributor
Reaction score
So I get the basics of sizing up master cylinders and what a bigger/smaller bore achieves. I have a single front disc.

However, I've never felt what the stock 14mm MC feels like.. I'm in the process of making a parts list for the completion of my bike over this winter season.

I keep going back to the MC on Mikes XS, it's the 76 single type MC and it's 16mm. I like that it has the early stock appearance and it seems I should be able to swap in my existing brake switch.

I know the stock xs360 is only 10lbs lighter than the 400.. my bike will be pretty minimal cafe style and I weigh about 165lbs. I plan on keeping options open for a passenger as well...

I'm looking for opinions on how the stock setup feels and if a 16mm bore will greatly affect front braking..

I don't want to have to pull the brake handle all the way to get results, but I don't want a mouse-click before the front locks up.

Since we are talking about feel here I guess it's safe to give my opinion. My 77 had the original M/C still installed when I acquired it and it stopped with ease. When I changed to drag bars the size of the original got in the way so I changed to one of the Chinese made replacements off ebay that was listed as a correct replacement. I can't tell you what size it is! It stopped with ease but wasn't touchy and would lock up the front tire if you wanted to. I then had a pretty serious collision with a Jeep with a blonde on her cell phone inside. The results required replacing the frame and front end. When I got everything together again I happened to find everything I needed to change to dual front disc, cheap, so I did. I just think it looks neat. I was concerned the M/C might not be big enough to work both calipers but was pleasantly surprised. It takes slightly more effort than before. After the first ride I didn't notice any more. It isn't touchy and will lock the tire with if you want to. My opinion is that size probably will not make much difference in this application particularly if it's listed as a correct replacement!

Back