I believe i got a xs400 seca...

KEL510

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! New to the forum and this is my first post -
I attached a picture of what i believe to be an xs400 seca. I have no idea what year it is. I got the bike for about $120 from a guy who didnt know anything about the history of the bike. Bought it with the intention of restoring an older bike and learning as I go. First attempt at a project bike. Got it home excitedly and first thing I did was take the seat off and tank. I wanted to get a good look at the frame. I was surprised to see the rear monoshock setup. Didnt notice the rear shock setup till i got her home. Haven't seen a lot of posts regarding these bikes. And I don't see a lot of finished projects of this type. Getting a little discouraged as I'm slowly thinking of maybe parting her out. The bike was running according to the seller but just needs a new battery. I guess I could get her running first and then decide on where to proceed. I would have preferred a bike with the normal rear shock setup. Any ideas on what type of tanks fit this model as the tank it came with is rusted(i could see a hole through the metal). I also need ideas or sites I can look to for replacement seats/parts. Thanks for your time and I look forward to sharing info with y'all.

Attachments

• xs400.jpg
    xs400.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 237
Yup! That is a Seca. Arguably the best XS400 model. The DOHC engine likes to rev, and the 6 speed trans is nice. The large gas tank is a nice bonus if you want to go on a long ride.

I'd suggest getting it fixed up and put some miles on her. You probably won't want to part with her after that! ;)

And welcome!

you can find the manufacture date behind the headlight. You should know that the year and model are important when ordering parts. unless I miss my guess it's a 82'. I have yet to find a gas tank for mine. I dented mine in a little after removing the thin metal, used JB weld gas tank repair. Let it set for a week. then did the body work. still holding. (3mos)

Wow. That's an incredible about of paint fade.

I'm not surprised your tank is rusted out. I have owned 3 seca's over the years and they were all rusted out in the same place. My current seca has the same issue. I took about a month working on the tank; silver soldered all the holes and then fiber glassed the whole tank. I missed a spot as it leaked after a few months. It looks like my tank will be another winder project.

If you have any luck finding another tank that fits, post it online. I would love to have another option.

Hi KEL510 have a look at my pics,that is a XJ600 tank, i think its around 84/85 model tank and it fitted straight onto my SECA good capacity too

Back