I cleaned the carbs this weekend (pics after cleaning)

cmoore352010

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I spent an afternoon this weekend cleaning my carbs and blowing them out. Now i just need to get a carb kit to replace the gaskets and o rings in them. I wanted to show everyone how they turned out after cleaning to see if they look ok before reassembling them.

Attachments

• carb float bowl side.jpg
    carb float bowl side.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 207
  • carb side view.jpg
    carb side view.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 191
  • carb side view2.jpg
    carb side view2.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 179
  • carb top.jpg
    carb top.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 178
  • diaphram1.jpg
    diaphram1.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 170
  • diaphram2.jpg
    diaphram2.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 165
  • diaphram3.jpg
    diaphram3.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 176
  • top cap1.jpg
    top cap1.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 189
  • top caps.jpg
    top caps.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 158
I spent an afternoon this weekend cleaning my carbs and blowing them out. Now i just need to get a carb kit to replace the gaskets and o rings in them. I wanted to show everyone how they turned out after cleaning to see if they look ok before reassembling them.

Since you're already getting the carb kit I would purchase some new floats too... Those look rough.

I think the floats will be fine so long as they are not punctered

did you clean out the orifices in the float bowl?

I have not replaced a single part, hard soft or otherwise, in my carbs and they run fine (after sitting for around 12 to 15 years with gas in them). I do not believe you will have O rings on the idle air screws with those carbs. I understand wanting to have the carbs right, but I think there's a lot more parts changing that goes on than needs to, as a general rule. I think thorough cleaning is the solution to the problems many are trying to fix with new parts.

Hough is right, there are no o-rings or other rubber bits in the '78 carbs. The new gaskets are probably all you need. I also agree that new floats are not necessary unless they have holes.

No holes in the floats that i can tell just a little dented is all. i blew out all the little holes that i could find on the carbs. the choke sticks a little when pulling it out or pushing it in. It feels like there is 3 positions on it. full choke, half choke and no choke. the diaphram has that needle sticking out the bottom and i can move it up and down about an 1/8th of an inch or so. is that normal? Im glad i waited on purchasing the carb kit cause i would have had a bunch of extra parts i don't need. I will see if i can order just the gaskets. Is there a way i can make my own gaskets or would you recommend i just purchase them?

I think a little movement of the needle is normal. I made my own float bowl gaskets with standard gasket paper.

The needle movement is normal, both lateral and vertical. If you take the diaphragm apart there is a spring, washer, plastic spacer, and possibly an e-clip depending on year. When the needle moves you're compressing the little spring inside.

If you want to disassemble to diaphragms you'll need some circlip pliers. I ended up making my own to save money. The autoparts store only had a short/fat off the shelf pair that wouldn't reach the clip inside the diaphragm. I bought a very long, thin hemostat from Wal-Mart in the fishing/camping section and ground the tips with a dremel; they work amazingly well.

Back