I had hair like bret michaels before this!!!! NO SPARKK!!

bensboard

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
OK guys going nuts over here, help! I told my bud I would rewire his bike. I have rewired several bikes in my time and have been very successful in doing it. I put all new wires on it and heat shrunk and soldered all connections, now....heres my problem... its an 81 xs400, I used the chopper diagram on here and I am using the stock right hand controls. All the lights, gauge lights, start/kill buttons work and it cranks, but no spark. I replaced the coils with new egay ones. I used a continuity tester on the coils and both wires to each coil has power, I put the tester in the plug cap and no power. The cdi box wires also dont read having power, is that normal? My buddy also tried rewiring it himself before giving it to me and did not use any inline fuses before he put a battery on it to test his handiwork, he said some wires melted and a little smoke before he took it off the battery. Could all the electrical components be fried? thanks in advance!

Your buddy may have fried the TCI unit.Hooking up juice without fuses can burn components to a crispy critter,and if so,you can get the TCI unit checked to make sure. lha

that was my thought/fear. Where would you get that tested at? We have a guy in town who rebuilds starter, alternators etc-auto electric. Should I check him? would have the ability to handle that? Ebay has used ones around $60 is that good or bad? Whats a new one run?

Back