i hate my XS

jigm400

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put new blinkers on this weekend they look "SICK" but they dont flash, ordered a new electronic flash relay. got that today and they still dont flash F my life. now to top it off my Headlight stopped working and i cant figure it out. double F my life. i guess this will be the begining of a tear down and rebuild of my electrical thead. :wtf:

Oh....dont say that...but I understand. Ouch.

If you really have to rebuild and rewire that is a big project. I just built a new wiring harness.

I'm a newbie so don't take my advice as gospel but here's what I did. My method worked very well. I found the appropriate wiring diagram. Taped big sheets of white paper to my kitchen table. Then I wrote down the names of the components on the paper in the order they appear on the wiring diagram. Then I removed the wiring harness from my bike, labeling each clip and wire as I went. Then I clipped the wiring harness clips (and any male/female connectors) off the harness (with leads that were plenty long!!) and taped them to the appropriate place on the kitchen table.

Then, on my wiring diagram, I labeled each fuse (1,2,3,4) and memorized the circuits according to that numbering system. Then I memorized everything again.

I procured wire, (7 different colors) solder and plenty of heat shrink. I did experiments with many and various connectors but in the end I decided to solder everything because I couldn't find connectors that didn't suck. You might be able to reuse the wire, but I chose to upgrade to 16 gauge, whereas the original wire on my bike was 18 gauge. I'd like to give BIG BIG BIG shout out to Paul at World Class Wire and Cable in Waukesha WI, ( a wire factory) who provided me with free samples of their 16 gauge automotive wire--saving me a bundle of money.

When I actually built the wiring harness I just took my time, checking and double checking everything. One note: I measured and cut all the Ground (earth) before I started, but I waited until the end to solder it on. This allowed me to build circuit by circuit (maintaining the order provided by the wiring diagram) for as long as possible. This turned out to be a VERY good idea. (LABEL EACH CIRCUIT AS YOU GO)

The trick, I found, is determining the correct length for each wire. I lucked out in this regard. there are only a few wires that were too long (none were too short). But if you know where each component goes on your bike it isn't too difficult to get pretty close. You might find it useful to cut a piece of wood (or another piece of paper) with each component labeled in a linear fashion to guide you when you cut wires. (trace the wiring harness before you cut it up) This is what I would do if I had to do it again.

Beyond that, I found the build to be very intense (took 14 hours). I drank plenty of water and stretched often to keep my mind sharp. Check out my pictures and videos here http://www.flickr.com/photos/62010758@N08/?saved=1

Once I have it wrapped and completely finished I'll post more pictures. Again, I'm a newbie but this is how I chose to do it.

sounds like a great plan. the only problem i have is that i ride this bike every day to work and it needs to run right all the time. i should have never started to mess with it.

Your wiring harness is probably fine; add some load resistors to fix the flasher problem or revert back to the oem setup. In my experience electronic flashers did not solve issues with bulbs/leds that offer less resistance than stock ones even though they are supposed to.

This is a very common and minor issue and I hate to say, but you should do a search. I have seen half a dozen threads on this exact same issue in the past week.

i got the flashers to work tonight, it was a 10 minute fix once i used my head. now on to figuring out why the head light dose not work. the bike is a 1980 and the wireing harness is in fantastic condition that's why i am stumped. i might just rig the headlight off the battery till this weekend. i am working on a new seat, battery box and rear fender so i might as well pull it apart all at once.

The fastest way to diagnose failures like the one you are describing is with a multimeter by checking for continuity.

First, does the headlight work for certain? I am assuming yes.

Second, unplug the harness closest to the headlight and check for continuity.

Third, repeat the second step for each harness along the way paying special attention to damage or disconnected earth/ground wires.

There really isn't a whole lot going on as far as wiring the headlight goes. The most annoying part is probably taking the headlight off.

What did you do to fix the flashers?

i fixed the flashers with a electronic flash relay. i had to move the pin plug connectors on the bike as i found the XS400 uses and odd pin configuration. the flashers work great now.

i am gong to hard wire the headlight with a switch, for now as i just don't want a ticket for not having one. then go through the wiring this weekend as i have a bunch of mods that i have to do.

the headlight did work the other day, i work 10-7 so i always see it on when i come home from work and noticed "it was a little dark" on Monday on my way home. i am using a H4 conversion so i took the bulb out and checked it.

Like BC said, usually the aftermarket stuff doesnt work properly out of the box, Ive had to swap bulbs a few times to get them to work right on things from motorcycle lights to motorcycle trailer lights! Annother great tool to have in your box is a good test light, Ive been using a Hella light for years with great luck, the cheap ones are not as sharp, you can press the tip of this one through insulation on wires that you cant get to the ends of and see if your getting power.... http://classicgarage.com/he-87275.html

If you haven't already, check your fuses and fuse box. The older yamahas have the worst fuse boxes of all the motorcycles I've owned. Plus, the glass fuses may look OK, but still be bad.

yeah ill have to look for a spare fuse, for the time being i have the head light set to a switch off the battery.

Back