i hate wiring

FUBAR

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
so im at the point in my build where the frames done and rolling, the engines rebuild and painted and the battery is charged.
my stock wiring harness is junk and just want to wire it for now with a key, start button and engine components.

i am completely stumped as where to start, which wires i need coming off the alternator/ tci box ect.. i have no wiring expir. and have read and watched hours and hours of video on wiring. still it seems every project is differernt.

i have an electronic ign. which throws me off even more. is there a straight forward way to wire this thing to run with out the horns and lights and junk just so i know its a runner?

pictures are very helpful, and would be greatful for any insight.

yeah i followed that when you wrote it and it was very good, it just seems like theres so many unneeded parts in the stock loom, and im having trouble identifying them, my haynes is vague about years and ignition systems and only covers the 'points' which seems more straightforward and mechanical.

so what i need is battery > key > button > fuse > starter solienoid > (whats next?)

im terrible with the diagrams

charging system with rectifier/regulator, ignition system.

I'd start from scratch, break each area down and just focus on that and move one. Eventually you'll have a schematic.

have new wiring will make your bike more reliable. I'm no electrician , but everything worked first time with the homework done!

i got it all started, im slowly workin one section at a time.

one question, does your aftermarket key ignition require a relay?

once i wire up the 12v through my ign. to a test light, the aftermarket ign i bought seems to restrict some power.

what i have is a marine grade on/off position key. thoughts?

I have the marine grade switch. don't have any issues with power as I'm running a 2.1 amp battery which is minimum i can get away with!

only used relays for horn and headlamp as I am using micro switches!

Back