I just bought a 1980 xs400 and I'm having a hard time

Joe Gagliardi

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I purchased the bike from a guy through facebook marketplace and its my first bike. Unfortunately, I let the "Oh my god, its a motorcycle" cloud my head when I went to go look at it. The bike runs but the starter button doesn't work (it kicks just fine though with a jump). Upon getting it home and replacing the battery, pressing the start button is met with an audible click from the solenoid and the sound of something spinning but it never starts.

What could be my issue? He said he replaced the starter, and its the solenoid that needs replacing but it wouldn't click if it was broken correct?

The turn signals turn on but do not blink either. I also removed the seat and found that the wiring is a little sketchy and seems like it will need to be redone. The fusebox looks like it was bypassed entirely. is it possible to just buy a new harness and just (for lack of a better term) plug everything back in?

I really need help and I feel like I'm in over my head.

Thanks for any responses.

Look for the wiring diagram on the forums for your model bike and read some of the other threads related to wiring. It might just be that the fuse box melted. I don't think anyone makes a drop in wiring harness. But you can make your own if you need to but you might not need to do so. Maybe you just need to solder in a new fuse box.

Back