i only get the headlight when i turn the key

bomrick85

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I got an 82 xs400 from a guy down the street i don't know much about it there is no badge saying what model it is. anyway it has been sitting for a while i put a new starter got a new battery and all new fuses i have bypassed the faulty kill switch and when i turn the key i only get the headlight. i can jump the starter but have no spark, any ideas??

Take and try jumping your starting solenoid by crossing the two terminals together and see if your starter turns over.
Also check your neutral safety switch,they should down near the bottom of the battery box on the frame.
Also check all your fuses.

Thanks. i can spin the starter off the solenoid and all fuses are good i will check the neutral safety in the morning but would think i should still get turn signals and all horn something other than just the headlight. do these have any fusable links anywhere?

Posted via Mobile

Actualy yes theres something near the seat area you can check,near the seat area on the wiring harness theres a small diode that will sometimes burn out if theres a short.

Welcome to the forum! You can use the VIN number and the build date info to find the model. That will tell you what wire diagram you need. They can be found here along with service manuals that can be downloaded for free.

I can't post pics yet but will as soon as i can, didn't make much progress due to a long night at work but i am about to try to look up the vin

Posted via Mobile

so i figured out how to steal a pic off my friends face book and the vin is 14v which matches the sj heritage.
So i turned the key on still had headlight started checking where and where i didnt have power i heard a slight sizzling sound so i turned it off found that one of the female connections on the fuse box had a bad connection so i replaced it, not sure what it is because the sticker bis ripped but it is the one on the opposite side of the box from the ignition but now i dont even have the headlight im going to try and download the diagram now. im kinda frustrated i can handle the mechanics but im not that great with wiring or internet

photo.php

Are you trying to send the pic from a phone that could be part of the problem why its not showing up.You also might have to load your pic to the site photobucket or dropbox in order to get the pic to show up.

Here ya go. Looks like the front end and rear are from another bike.

Last edited:
not using a phone just having problems. and i was pretty sure the front and rear weren't stock im not quite sure what else is modified, the guy i bought it from got it for his wife to learn on, then rode it and said it was too fast for her

:laugh: thats a first, too fast! These are great bikes, but they're not exactly R1's

Have you checked your battery yet? A bad one can have enough juice for the headlight and not much else

Yea hopefully i can figure out if its fast soon supposedly its been re-geared i was messing with it earlier and got the headlight back, neutral and oil lights plus the horn, no turn signal, high beam or starter button but it is progress the battery is brand new

Posted via Mobile

Back