I touched the engine case while running & got zapped!

wildbill

360/400, whatevr it takes
Reaction score
I picked up my XS400 a little while back and rode it around the first couple days I had it. On the last ride, I noticed that when I touched the outside of the engine case (the fins specifically) I got zapped with a bit of electricity! Since then, I haven't been able to get it started.

Obviously electrical - but where to get started? Battery is good and & elec. starter works. Any ideers?

hey magneto, didn't know you were into bikes?

coils grounding out or the spark plugs insulation broken down and the quickest way to earth is you (tyres are rubber insulated)

In some areas it is difficult to find the real wire core center spark plug wires our bikes are equipped with. Try mikesxs.com - they sell two lengths of wire at a reasonable price. While at it, get two new NGK spark plug caps as your old ones are probably shot. The manual calls for 10K ohm caps but most you find locally are 5K and those will do fine.

MIKESXS! I switched to the xs650 coils they have xs performance wires and NGK caps. The coils on my xs400 aren't changealbe, the new 650 coils are, and they are compatible with xs400's.

Radio Shack sells [or used to] some stuff that's marketed as cable organizer. It's flat plastic wound into a spiral like a telephone handset cord. No need to remove parts, just cut to length and wind it onto the spark wires. Makes good armor. Won't keep water out but won't hold it in either.
Also good for bundling wires.

Back