idle problem resolved

hoganJr

hoganJr
Reaction score
I have posted several times looking for help from you folks on resolving the not-returning-to-idle issue that my 79 XS400 has. Everything I read here points to an air leak or mixture screw issue. I found that my mixture screws were both broke off in the carb body, so I bought some used carb bodies and new screws, rebuilt everthing and turned the screws out to 3-1/2. That did not solve the problem. (later I found some threads describing how you can just push the needle tips out)
I applied some gasket sealer to the carb-boot/head mating surface and that did not help. The carbs fit so tight in the carb boots that I could not believe there was a leak there and spraying carb cleaner or propane around the boots did not change the idle. (I may have been a little tentative in this effort because it makes me nervous.)
So I did something that some of you guys might flame me for, but it worked. I took the carb boots off and cut a piece of 1-3/4" bicycle innertube about an inch an a half long for each boot. Then I took some permatex aviation gasket sealer and coated the entire outer surface of each boot and let it get tacky. Then I took the segments of inner tube and stretched them over the outside of the carb boots and let it cure for a day.
When I started the bike up and ran it returns to idle just like it should!
Thanks for all the tips you folks have given me!
I was almost disappointed again because when the bike got warm and I revved it up once the idle hung again, just like before, but then I realized the "choke" was open half way. Pushed it in and the idle dropped. Makes me wonder if enrichment circuit issues could be another cause of the not-returning-to-idle issue that many XS400 riders seem to experience.

hoganJr

Whatever works right?

I had a longtime rider/friend tell me a good trick for leaking intake boots.

Pack the outside of them with axle grease. It will help you to troubleshoot issues, and is a good temporary fix.

I've also heard that heat-shrink tubing works fairly well too, but I'm not sure where I'd find any that big. If it works and looks good who's to complain, amiright? :D

Back