Idle slowly going up

Kr lip

XS400 Member
Reaction score
OK so I dropped of carbs at a shop to be cleaned and adjusted while they were at shop I replaced the carb joints the ones on bike were badly cracked got carbs back and reinstalled bike runes a lot better but the idle slowly climbs and revs drop slow I don't think it's a vacuum leak the shop set the idle screws 2.5 turns out is that overkill bike is a 77 xs 360 stock intake I'm going to be bringing bike to shop to have carbs sync end of next week just look to see if it's something I can do at home I hate carb stuff I'm better with fi cars thanks again

if carbs are out of sync it could do that allso u said that the idle screw 2 1/2 out is that the idle fuel ??? allso did u check vacume lines make sure they are correct and last thing did u spay wd40 at carbs and boots to see if you actualy have a air leak

I did the wd thing and bike started to backfire and shut off vac lines are OK I have only one that goes to petcok other is capped off carb joint are brand new I sprayed the intake before carb it was fine when I sprayed the right side carb around the choke plunger and idle screw it started to back fire bad I'll just take it to shop I don't mind doing mechanical stuff but carbs drive me nuts the bike was idleing on one cylinder when I got it and that carb was set all messed up like the po had tried to tune it to compensate for a huge vac leak on old carb joint thank u for the help I'll have valve adj done and sync I'll post how it goes also I'm going to try to do tubes and tires myself any tips or advice would be grate

I will and thank you I'll have the carbs sync and valve done if it's still a problem then it's full carb rebuild odd part is its intermittent and during warmup it fine only when it get ridden around for a min it starts to creep up to about 3k

Update just got the bike back it was done last week but my truck ended up going to a shop 2days after I dropped bike off tech did valve adj carb sync and adj cleaned points and adj timing also he had a starter button he put in and adj cables and did a few other things bike runs great idel is good does not creep up I'm very happy with everything he did ordered tires 3 weeks ago ups in South FL sucks they lost them for a few days so they should be in tomorrow I'm going to try to get them changed this Sunday wish me luck

Back