If a bike needs a severe oil change will it not rev?

chrisd1984

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Pretty sure my Maxim 400 has no oil at all left in the crankcase and I'm going to change it tomorrow after I get the correct socket. Thing is, the bike starts fine now it won't rev as much. Is this because of the lack of oil? I also took out a spark plug to check it...could it be that the spark plug isn't tight enough and there could be an excess air leak through the plug hole?

Just wanted to test the new spark plugs. It was only for 3 mins or so. Do you think that's why it wasn't reving?

If you understood how critical oil is to an engine, you would be slapping yourself. Hard. I agree with and disagree with domains. The top end of the motor needs oil just as much as the rest of the engine. Especially on a DOHC engine. The engineers at Yamaha even put in a test plug on the right side of the head so that oil flow to the head can be verified after each oil change.

It is your bike, blow it up if you want. And if you keep doing things like this, you probably will...

Lol, I never heard of anyone knowingly starting an engine with no oil in it....not even a woman:laugh: Well hopefully you had enough oil in there to lube things up a bit. Even after a full oil drain, there is still a reasonable amount left in the bottom of the crankcase that didn't drain out. Anyone who has torn down a motor knows how messy it is even after you thought you drained all the oil.

Back