If it's not one problem it's another....

Vlad

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't like to let my bike sit all winter without firing it up a few times and letting it warm up which I've done a few times so far this winter but this time I have a problem. I hit the start button and the motor turned over about 2 times and quit. I thought maybe my battery was low so I got a new one off the tender, put it in and nothing. I hear the starter making 1 click like it's engaging the motor but it won't turn. Thought I'd try the kick start, no good either. I'm pretty sure I'd break it off before I got that motor to turn. I'm open to suggestions.

Last edited:
try cleaning the earth leads.

you can also bypass the solinaoid with a screwdriver to check the starters ok

Cleaned up all the leads, jumped the solenoid, still no luck. Didn't figure it would but it was worth a shot. Kick start won't even turn.

Is it possible that gasoline has been leaking past the petcock into the cylinder and that it is "hydrolocked" with fuel (uncompressible) taking up the space? Take out the spark plugs and check the sump for gas. If it's that, just drain the gas out, put new oil in and you are good to go....except you may have to address the petcock. The one on mine went back and leaked into the carbs...which is why I have a manual petcock now.

That thought had crossed my mind so i took the plugs out and tried the kick start with no success. Cylinders are dry.

Try turning the engine over backward by the crank. Let us know what happens. You might have stuck valve or something.

Im unfamiliar with how to turn it over with the crank? Is that something i can do from outside engine or should i remove the right engine cover.

remove the alternator cover on the left side of the engine (round one that says yamaha) and turn the bolt in the center

I tried turning the crank like you suggested and it turns out the motor isn't locked up. I can rotate it about 180 degrees in either direction and it catches on something.

I wonder if the starter chain has jumped. need to take off that side and check.

does it do the same with the clutch in? trying to eliminate if the clutch basket side has locked up!

I pretty much did that today, took apart the left side cover and alternator, checked the starter chain and all the gears. Everything seems to be in order and on track. When i turn the crank the chain doesn't bind. Im going to rule out the right side the next warm day.

Posted via Mobile

Took off the right side engine cover and took at look at everything to see if hopefully I can find the problem. No luck. I took apart the clutch basket and the oil pump and I still only get about 180 degrees of rotation on the crank. So that being said I suppose I'll make plans to pull the engine unless there is a way to take apart the heads with it still in the frame... I'm open to any suggestions....

Finally found the problem... turns out the jet in the front of the carb loosened up, backed out and got sucked in the through the carb, through the valve, and ended up in the cylinder. Lucky enough it only put 2 small dents in the piston and the top of the head. Didn't scratch the side wall or damage the rings but it sure smashed the hell out of that jet.

full

Back