Ignition key postitions

meyekj

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey everyone. First time poster, long time lurker. Anyway, recently picked up an '78 XS400-2e (kick only) that's really clean. It needs carb work and timing adjusted so I haven't got it to run yet. Can someone confirm all three ignition key positions? My guess is (from left to right): off, accessories, run - but I'm not positive. The battery is good so I know all the lights work in the middle key position. I've searched and looked through wiring diagrams, but it's still not apparent to me. All I have are three dots across the top of the key hole.

I appreciate the help. Thanks.

Kevin

Not sure, I was guessing... Thanks for the info. So when I'm done with the carbs and timing and I'm ready to kick start it, it sounds like the key needs to be all the way to the right position? If so, why do all of the lights go on in the middle position. Forgive me if these are dumb questions. I'm used to working on cars, but my experience with bikes is limited.

Here's a photo. All of the lights (turn signals, taillight, lo/hi bean, oil, nuetral) can all work when the key is in the middle position. The fuse box on this bike was modified, so if it's not supposed to be that way, it's not outside of the realm of possibility that the PO modified it and screwed it up.

91lR7oAQVfQsEfXywg2pNA9nvV0rNC-rvJrCAnzrbPg=w276-h206-p-no

it is off-on-park light. The third position allows you to turn on the rear running light and pull the key to park it at night on the street. took me awhile to figure it out on my 78 too!

Back