Ignition wires

Jonesy154

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all! Can anyone shed some light on my ignition switch wires I'm just wondering what each of the 4 wires do? Just that I've fitted aprilia rs125 forks and would like to use the aprillia ignition switch/barrel but it only has 2 wires so dunno if it's gonna work? Thanks in advance to any advice:thumbsup:

I'll take a stab at it:
Main power in (from 20A fuse), Red wire.
Main power out to remainder of fuse block (key on). Brown wire.
Power for lights in (from Lights fuse). Blue wire.
Power for lights out (key on or parking). Blue with Red wire. Key on uses power from Lights fuse, Parking uses Main fuse.

This is based on DOHC wiring diagram, may be different for SOHC. Check the wiring diagram for your bike to confirm.

You could join the 2 blue (Lights) wires together and then use the Aprillia switch for the red and brown wires - IF the Aprillia switch is capable of handling 20A of current. You'd loose the parking light feature, and I don't know if that is required for your MOT inspection.

If the Aprillia switch can't handle 20A, then you'll have to use a relay. Not difficult, but more electrical work than I think you are interested in...

Hm, yes, what year do you have? The colors vary by year. On my '78 there were definitely some blue wires that lit up the back of the gauge dials.

Thanks guys it's a 81 250 special, it's just that I've fitted the aprilia forks so would like to keep the aprilia lock barrel for ease of fitment but I can get a aprilia lock switc with 4 wires as they do 2 types, I guess il have to get over on a aprilia forum to find out what they're for and hopefully they'll match up

I believe those extra wires are just for lighting; it shouldn't be too difficult to rig everything up so that the main light switch also controls the gauge back lights.

It might be easier to use a 2-wire switch from the Aprilia; just remember that the switches vary; the key position may not activate the same wires in the same position. On the Aprilia the extra wires might go to a relay or something while on the XS they light the gauges. You'll need an Aprilia wiring diagram and an XS one to be sure.

Sorry to drag up a older post, but I'm nearing the end of the wiring and just wanted to ask 16vgtidave if he has the same ignition as I do as I'm trying to find a wiring diagram which has this ignition set up and I've had no luck! I've wires the bike so far by tracing wires back and splicing in news witch gear to suit but would like the right diagram to check it all before the big switch on!! Also need to know the easiest way to cut out the self canceller? Sorry if you've had all these questions before but the bike so close to being done I can almost taste the finish line!

Not sure about the other stuff but you can just unplug the self-canceling unit and chuck it.

Sorry to drag up a older post, but I'm nearing the end of the wiring and just wanted to ask 16vgtidave if he has the same ignition as I do as I'm trying to find a wiring diagram which has this ignition set up and I've had no luck! I've wires the bike so far by tracing wires back and splicing in news witch gear to suit but would like the right diagram to check it all before the big switch on!! Also need to know the easiest way to cut out the self canceller? Sorry if you've had all these questions before but the bike so close to being done I can almost taste the finish line!

As my signature says, I've got an 82 Maxim. It is a DOHC engine and the wiring harness is specific to it and the Seca. There are many similarities to the SOHC bikes, but it is different. I've been using the factory wiring diagrams for all my work. I'm afraid I can't help much with your SOHC bike. If you have any specific questions, I'll try to help.

A few words of hard learned wisdom: Now that you are close to completion, you may be tempted to rush things. Don't! Now is when a silly mistake can set you back weeks. Take your time and double check everything. Make no assumptions. If you feel like rushing, walk away and have a cup of tea. Once you have settled down, get back to the bike and stare at it. Look at everything you have touched. Make notes of what things need to be done, but don't do them. Just keep adding to your list. Make the list detailed, with additional points as required, for example:

Install front fender
- clean fender
- clean mounting bolts
- lubricate mounting bolts

Making a list like this will remind you of many things you have forgotten, and will save you time and frustration. :)

Thanks for the advice guys I've been very patient so far with all aspects of the build and it's all came out exactly as I imagined and I wanna keep that mind set until the end I've worked hard on it all the way and I'm not gonna ruin it at the end, would like to say that I wouldn't of been able to do it if it wasn't for this forum and all the helpful people and threads on here!

Back