I'm about to throw the XS in the lake...

Raising the carb needles up one slot? What is this and how do I do it. A shop told me to jet up to 45 and raise my needle one slot. Also I can't find anywhere to buy new mixture screws

Yamaha still sells them as far as I know. The manual has a break down on the carb and how it goes together. This is the order on how they come apart. That is the clip ( set on the fourth clip).

Attachments

• DSC02950.jpg
    DSC02950.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 187
  • DSC02951.jpg
    DSC02951.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 173
Does it matter which carb boot the peacock vacuum line is on? My bike has the plug on the left and the vacuum line on the right

So after work today, I pulled carbs and took apart entire intake. No rips or tears. Pulled carbs apart and verified float height, nothing blocking pilot passages, no rips in diaphragm and I'll have to get a snap ring pliers set to verify the clip is on the right setting.

Started the bike up and now it seems like once it warms up it just sputters and dies. Starts right back up again and sputters and dies.

Does it matter which carb boot the peacock vacuum line is on? My bike has the plug on the left and the vacuum line on the right

No it don't. The line going to the right side makes it easier to route the hose tho.

So after work today, I pulled carbs and took apart entire intake. No rips or tears. Pulled carbs apart and verified float height, nothing blocking pilot passages, no rips in diaphragm and I'll have to get a snap ring pliers set to verify the clip is on the right setting.

Started the bike up and now it seems like once it warms up it just sputters and dies. Starts right back up again and sputters and dies.

Turn up the idle?

Is that just idle time or after a long ride? If just idle time They are not too bad maybe a bit rich on the first one. The ceramic part of the plug should be fairly clean. If you can you should take the bike out for a goo long run. A lot of idle time can load up the motor with a lot of carbon.

Just idle. I haven't taken it out on a proper ride yet. My only bike experience is from dirt bikes when I was a kid, I've never even rode a motorcycle on the road before. So the idea of riding a bike on main roads that isn't 100% scares the shit out of me. Pulling up to a red light/stop sign and have the bike either jump up to 3k or just die and not want to restart with cars behind me scares me the most. I'd like to get these issues sorted out before I go out. If give it to someone to fix but the play money budget is tight.

You have got to be getting annoyed with me by now haha

Went to start my bike today, it sputtered once and then nothing. Pulled plugs and they were a little wet near the threads but the center and electrode were dry. After a few(10) generous kicks it fired up and I revved it. Seemed to rev fine. Idled for a minute or two and then spit, sputtered and died. Tried to start again but battery was nearly dead so I took it out and brought it home to put on the charger.

It seems like it's not hanging at 3k anymore but I don't know for sure since I haven't warmed up the bike fully.

Back