I'm hearing a crackle/pop in 1st while releasing the clutch

robindean

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
The sound is faint and maybe I'm paranoid but when I leave a full stop I'm hearing something that concerns me.

Basically, I'm at a full stop ... I give 'er a little gas, begin to release the clutch, add more gas and everything feels fine.

Right when the clutch control is about to be fully released I feel a vibration, the clutch engages with more angst and I hear a little bit of crackle/pop coming from who knows where.

I don't know if this is happening in 2nd-6th. Hell, I don't even know if my mind is playing tricks on me.

Any ideas what might be happening?

The mechanism that pushes on the clutch push-rod might have dirt in it. Take off your front sprocket cover and have a look. You may simply not be hearing the noise in higher gears because the engine is drowning it out.

Oh, and be careful; there is probably a small ball bearing in there that could fall out.

I checked the chain play at the wheel and found that she's pretty stretched out. The wheel is almost maxed on distance. There's easily 1.75 to 2 inches of play. My thought ... that's the culprit.

We're supposed to have .75 - 1 inch of play on these chains, right?

Check the manual for how and where to measure the play. Having the rear wheel off the ground is also going to affect play if you're using the center stand. But yeah, an over-tight chain will snap, crackle, and pop.

Oh, whoops, I was thinking you were too tight. It sounds like you might be too loose. Is the chain lubed up?

I'm going to check all of these things, eventually, but the chain is over-loose not over-tight ;)

My thought is that the bottom-slack is bouncing up and down on the frame.

I'm going to check all of these things, eventually, but the chain is over-loose not over-tight ;)

My thought is that the bottom-slack is bouncing up and down on the frame.
May be time for new chain/sprocket set.They're not real expensive and will help a lot.also give you a chance to think about changing sizes to free up wear on the swingarm,where it's rubbed by the chain larger front and rear sprockets will give more room. lha

Last night, it was raining. Wife and I rode to the movie theater and home after (great gear, completely dry). The bike got a good soaking above and below.

Today, the sound is completely gone.

I'm thinking there might be something to your suggestion about dirt by the clutch rod and that it's been washed out by puddle splashes.

We'll see as time goes on.

I NEED to find a motorcycle maintenance class here in Chicago. What fun that would be. I could sure use the know-how as I get nervous just thinking about trying to do any of this with just me and a manual.

Over time you'll get more intuitive about how things come apart and go back together, but if you're nervous from the start simply take digital photos or label things with masking tape. Bag everything and label it; some people use egg cartons, some buy organizer boxes.

If a job sounds daunting to me I will find some youtube videos of the process. Even if the make and model are not the same often the same principles apply.

Back