I'm seeing a bit of rust towards the bottom of my frame.

robindean

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I'm a new rider and this is my first bike. At the bottom of my frame I see where some paint has been lost and rust is creeping in.

How concerned should I be?
Should I try and sand it a little by hand and shaker-can some flat black, high-temperature paint on there?

I have some shaker-paint that's intended for barbecue grills. It's a small area.

Don't be terribly alarmed; it's normal on older bikes and the frames are made of fairly thick steel. If you want to remove it, do it! Brush/sand as much off as you can. I'd recommend rustoleum for a touch up since it cannot be readily seen (the rust spots). Also, rustoleum sells a liquid product in a bottle specifically designed to stop rust. There may be other similar products as well; try an auto parts store. Whatever you use, make sure it is actually designed to stop the rust reaction.

Knock off the rust with some sand paper and go get some por15. U will never see rust again with that stuff its great. They sell a mat to go with it to actually repair rust holes.

Someone mentioned to me that Por-15 has tendency to break down in direct sunlight ... that it's intended for underneath car frames. While my rust is located on the frame, it's in an easily visible location that is hit by sunlight for sure.

What should I use that is sunlight friendly?

My apologies for not mentioning it's visible location earlier.

Thanks for clearing that up for me, HM.

BC has me convinced, though. My local buddies are suggesting the same. Rust-Oleum it is.

Thanks for the product tips!

It's cheap and you can get it locally. If it doesn't do work in the long run you can always order something more powerful.

Back