I'm thinking PO ran high oil levels

jbracken

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm a newbie here. Have a good understanding of bike mechanics tho, plenty of car and marine engine experience. I bought an 81 xs400 recently. Ran with high idle from vac leaks I'm assuming from the start. Riding home the motor started bogging. And it seamed like it couldn't get enough air. Plugs are wet, high oil levels and gas smell in the oil. What do you guys think? Where should I start?

Ok, thanks for the quick response
I'm literally pulling the carbs as we speak. Have cleaner and air compressor ready. Bout to pull the flaot bowls. How do I set the floats? Also what should I be setting the peacock to when not in use? Thank you so much!

Set the petcock to anything BUT prime (PRI), in regards to float height its pretty easy just do a search here for 'float height' and its been covered many times, or refer to the manual. Just remember to measure float height without the gasket in place.

Hey it sounds like gas has flowed into your gearbox, DO NOT ride it again until you have drained the sump and replaced the oil or you may do some serious damage to the motor. Ensure you do not leave the petcock on prime, if you know the petcock was not left on prime then you have a leaking petcock which will need new seals put through it.

Back