In or Out?

User9053

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok so i'm trying to remove my problem with my bike bogging below 2.5 - 3k. It seems to run better with 1.5 out vs 2.5-3 turns out on the pilot screws. So i'm trying to figure out if I need to go bigger or smaller Pilot jets. I had a look at the Mikuni manual and it suggests that going out reduces the fuel flow but i'm all confused. Its it adding fuel or air?

Check here page 10, fig 16
http://www.mikuni.com/pdf/vmmanual.pdf

Thanks

Last edited:
I don't think any xs400 comes with VM carbs; you should have BS carbs. On mine turning the screw out (looser) increases fuel at idle.

I'm assuming, but I don't know anything about the Maxim or Seca models.

The maxim and seca carbs for sale on ebay all look like BS34s.

What size do you have now? Bogging usually means you're too rich. Often large pilot jets can be reigned in using those adjustment screws. Just make sure you turn them in very lightly; they can be easily damaged when tightened all the way.

When you're too lean the rpms will tend to climb high or "hang" and want to stay somewhere above idle.

You could take a picture of your spark plugs. That would help.

Make sure you also have the proper float high as that could cause issue.

I'm running stock 42.5 pilots. I'm going to remove the air filter today and see if it improves. If its worse that would suggest I'm too lean right? I've set the float heights. Made a small improvement but nothing major. I also have popping on decel which apparently suggests lean. I don't mind the sound just trying to use it to diagnose the problem

Yeah its not about the sound I don't mind it, just using it to try and solve my problem. Its hard because the symptoms for lean and rich are almost the same. My plugs look fine but the bike doesn't run on the pilot circuit for that long so I don't think it would show. Bike feels sluggish when you hit the new throttle and doesn't want the revs to rise

So did you pull the carbs and clean them? Also, have you started with fresh fuel and inline fuel filter? Do these things before you try to tune. Pay extra special attention to the pilot jet, which has 16 tine holes in the shaft that the diaphragm needle moves through, opening up. This is a common place where crud gathers, and where smooth operation and cleanliness is absolutely mandatory for the bike to run properly. If you are still at lower rpm's (under 5k), all the gas is still flowing from the pilot jet.

So yeah, clean that shit, protect them with paper element filter, then let's talk tuning. Make sure valves are in spec. Mount carbs and get the bike to start. Sync carbs. Check timing. Idle mixture adjustment (the screws), idle adjustment (the knob), then idle mixture screws, timing, then sync carbs one last time. If you do these things in this order and when you are done you have 1200 rpm, solid idle, balanced carbs, and timing in spec, the bike should run nicely.

You could either be rich or lean, that is true, but you could also have the correct amount of fuel with too much restriction, which acts both lean and rich at the same time (the fuel makes it into the combustion chamber but it is drizzled instead of sprayed, in laments terms). I won't use the term "dirty", because perhaps you gave your carbs a cleaning already... Immaculate is what you are going for. Non immaculate carbs will be impossible to tune.

Cheers

I might be using the wrong terminology. The jet in question is long, draws from float bowl, but interacts with diaphragm needle.

Posted via Mobile

The shaft of the jet runs through the center of the carb, it is secured by a jet looking "nut" with a washer between. Unscrew the "nut" and slide out the shaft. Clean the 16 tiny holes with something like a guitar string or better yet wire guage cleaners and carb cleaner. Air won't do it, you gotta scrub. Look through the holes through the light, make sure you can see right through them smooth and uniform

Posted via Mobile

The shaft of the jet runs through the center of the carb, it is secured by a jet looking "nut" with a washer between. Unscrew the "nut" and slide out the shaft. Clean the 16 tiny holes with something like a guitar string or better yet wire guage cleaners and carb cleaner. Air won't do it, you gotta scrub. Look through the holes through the light, make sure you can see right through them smooth and uniform

Posted via Mobile

You mean the needle jet or emulsion tube. The pilot jet should be a bleed type with holes in it. With yours being a dohc bike that could be different but usually cv carbs have the bleed type and the vm carbs are non-bleed. Using the wrong style pilot jet will make a big difference in how it runs.

Attachments

• DSC02347.jpg
    DSC02347.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 264
here is a pic

Attachments

• IMG_20140131_112504.jpg
    IMG_20140131_112504.jpg
    304.4 KB · Views: 262
  • Mikuni_Jets.gif
    Mikuni_Jets.gif
    17.6 KB · Views: 269
After looking at part numbers the dohc bike use a different jet than the sohc bikes do. Maybe one of the dohc bike guys can confirm this for you.

I was told that the DOHC carbs don't need pilot jets with bleed holes. Has something to do with not needing the rubber plugs either. Don't know if this is fact or fiction. I've been running "non-bleed hole" pilot jets and seem to be running fine.

Ok so I bought the same jets again (42.5) and the guy at the shop drilled them out for me ever so slightly making them approx 43. No difference still ran crap. Im convinced i need to go smaller

Back