Initial steps to getting bike running

ANUBIXS400

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi folks a newbie here

I got a 78 xs400e last summer and have just started working on it. It has everything with it but is in rather rough shape. I tried starting it last week with a full battery and all that happened was the rear light came on. I had to hot wire it as it didn't come with a key.

After this failed attempt I decided to start stripping the bike down, mainly the electrical as I have been trying to test all the individual components to see what the problem is.

Im thinking about stripping the engine down to see what kind of shape its in too but I was wondering how far to go with that as I don't want to split the case or anything. Is there recommended procedure with the engine and does it mean I will have to get new gaskets and seals etc? Any tips to get me going in the right direction would be great.

Hi folks a newbie here ... Any tips to get me going in the right direction would be great.
Welcome to the Forum.
Best advice I can give is to start with this thread:
It includes specific steps like download the manual from the Forum and don't try and run it without draining and flushing the tank first.
But most important it will help you to avoid unintentionally making a things worse (experience talking). :wink2:

Thanks a lot guys. I read through the links you sent me which were great! I also went through the check list. I have taken almost everything off the bike then dismantled,cleaned, lubricated and reassembled all the parts. I even took the engine out and gave that a quick once over. But this is just the first going over so I am now familiar with how the bike goes together so I will be able to perform all the maintenance.

I tried to start the bike yesterday via the electric start but still nothing. From what I know know and reading some other posts I believe the starter relay has had it. I press the start button in neutral with the clutch held in and I get nothing. I could not here a click and when I tested for a voltage across there wasn't a stable reading? Im thinking of heading down to the salvage yard to see if I can find another starter relay and I will see if I have a jumper cable as Ive read that you can by pass the starter.

Also I turned the motor over a few times first by hand before I tried to start just to make sure there wasn't any resistance or anything stuck.

Would anyone have any advice on starter relay diagnosis or bypassing them. Thanks again.

Attachments

• IMG_4143.jpg
    IMG_4143.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 253
I think most of us had failure at the button, but sometimes its hard to tell. The other morning, my bike did the same to me. When next thing, I had planned on taking my bike to work, and next thing I know, I am stowing my bike, because nothing I did was going to turn it on (at 2:30 am) when I came home, she happily started. My wife said it was too cold (37-39 degrees F) Was that the starter solenoid, or button. (no clicks, on kick start she didn't have any fire to want to go.) she has been a one kick an go bike this season. (as short as it has been, 1 week)

You had a click, So that generally means you getting energy to the starter Soleniod, Button is good, I suppose you could have a weak ground. which just a little cleaning of the connections points. One next to the battery on top of the bike, and the ground to the engine. Shine those up, and charge up the battery, see if that helps. My thought is you not getting the amps, so that leads me to think battery, weak amps, or something like that.

Sounds like you're having some fun with it too.

I will service all the grounds and then disassemble the starter button. But I was saying I cannot hear a click so I was thinking it could be the starter solenoid?

I check all the above out and let you know how it goes.

AS long as your plugging in and all that, the wire criss crosses at the back of the battery going to the starter, that connection could have gone stale on you as well. That is the direct line to the starter button.

Well I have reassembled all the electrical except the rear break light and indicators. My issue now is there is no spark!

Turn ignition on - neutral light and oil light
Horn kinda works but need a better ground on the handle bars (there painted black)
Front light comes on via switch.

Press start - nothing happens (no click) - Get new starter relay?

take plugs out touching engine and kick over bike in neutral - no spark (newish plugs)

the rectifier and regulator are not grounded to the frame as they are just hanging loose at the moment. Maybe a problem with the grounding on the coils?

Im not sure what to do next other than replace the starter relay and I will get an inline fuse box soon.

Any suggestions would be great.

If you have painted bars you need to remove the paint under the left and right housing. This is how the grounding works for the starter.

Thanks for that Chris, I have now scraped the paint away on the handle bars to ground both switches. The lights come on no problem and the horn works fine.

I triple checked the starter coils and snipped away some plug wire to give a fresh connection and I get good readings on both. 4.3 ohms and around 8.6kohms

Im still not seeing a spark with the kick and not sure what to do next. Should i be checking a connection somewhere to see if the start button is working? I did take it apart and clean the inside of the switch. Or am I just completely missing something basic.

I recorded what i did, apologies for the poor video my camera has no focus and i was trying do do it all, doh! But it may help.

I would start looking at the wiring diagram and check connections. Get the e-start working. It will make it easier to check for spark.

So eventually I found the problem. I started testing the voltage around the bike and found there was a significant voltage drop caused by a bad connection. I tested the starter solenoid and that was ok. (did this by hooking it up to the battery for a very short amount of time and heard the click.
After sorting out all the electrical the starter worked via the button! Really happy about that.

So that was that, next was trying to get the bike running, but after trying the kick start and electric start a few times I could hear a squeaking sound coming from the cylinder area. took the plugs out used a flash light and it looked pretty grizzly in there. I didn't want to start the bike and then just mess up all the engine because of some premature excitement.
I decided to take the head off it and see whats happening in there.

here is what i found:

also the cylinder wall feels smooth so I was thinking to get it honed? do I need new rings if I get it honed?

Attachments

• IMG_4198.jpg
    IMG_4198.jpg
    275.3 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_4206.jpg
    IMG_4206.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 208
If you have it apart do new rings/hone, valve lap and seals and all new gaskets/seals.

So here is a little update of my project as i have been away from it for a little while now. I sorted the head out after putting the hours in cleaning and getting in touch with the right people. Made my gasket and had to remove a couple of snapped bolts which was tricky.

Put the top end together, plugged everything back in and installed the tank, carbs air filters, exhausts etc and then had to leave town for a while for work. so Im just waiting to get back and then I can set the timing and gap the points and give it a try! Holy smokes I'm excited to get this thing running, feel like its taking me forever. I feel like it should start after everything Ive done but we will see.

After I get it going i will then focus on the styling. But I will just have to ride it some first!!!

Attachments

• IMG_4223.jpg
    IMG_4223.jpg
    280.4 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_4225.jpg
    IMG_4225.jpg
    304.1 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_4236.jpg
    IMG_4236.jpg
    301.4 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_4216.JPG
    IMG_4216.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_4194.JPG
    IMG_4194.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 207
So I got to try and start the bike and for the life of me I cannot get it to fire up! :bang head:

I have spark and have adjusted the points and timing. I tried quick start in the air filter and got a tiny splutter. Would I be right in thinking its a fuel issue?

I gave the carbs a thorough cleaning before I put them back on but maybe I missed something? I set the floats at 32mm but now I'm thinking to drop them to 26mm. I not sure how much that would make a difference.

I thought for sure the bike would fire up after I had cleaned everything but now I don't know what to do. Any advice would be great and thanks in advance i really appreciate it :)

Have you done a compression test on the cylinders? Are the plugs wet?

Back