Installing an electric starter

cweavexscb

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
I have a 78 xs 400 that is kick start only at the moment. Does anyone know if it is possible to add an electric starter?

I'm not 100% sure but I bet you could. The engine cases have to be the same.. You'd need a starter, the gears, chain, starter clutch, relay, control with the starter button, wiring for it all, and all the little nuts and bolts. You could wire it in yourself with your own button then you'd only need the mechanical stuff. Your best best would be to find a blown or seized motor to rob the parts off of. Why do you want it? If it doesn't start within two kicks, spend your time and money on a tune-up. :twocents: You might be able to find someone who is removing the starter completely from their chop. Have them send you everything they take off.

If you do it, take pictures for us.

Welcome to the site!

Mainly because I've been working on odds and ends and things aren't perfect at the moment and it's hotter than hell in alabama in august and going through a kick fest in 110 degree heat index sucks. Its been tempermental as hell. Seems like whenever I don't really NEED it to start it will but in necessary situations she gives me grief just like a woman :)

In The US, the 1978 XS400-2E and 1979 XS400-2F didn't come with electric start. The 1978 XS400E, 1979 XS400F, and all other years did though (I think).

Back