Installing Gaiters / fork boots - where to start?

Jso123

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Has anyone done this on a Maxim? It looks like a bigger job than I thought - but they arrived in the mail... Guess I start by jacking up the bike. Appreciate any tips from anyone who has already done this... Thanks

Howdy, been a while since I chimed in. I slapped some boots on when I changed my fork oil. All you need to do is pull the front forks off, slip the boots down/on, and re-install the forks. Not to bad at all. I'll come back later with pictures and the specific boots i used, they fit perfect and i'd highly recommend them. :bike:

A good indication would be oily dirt or just oil on the chrome part of the forks. Wipe the chrome fork tubes clean and then watch for oil to accumulate on them after a few rides. If oily, then seals need to be replaced, if not, then you are good to go.

With one caveat - the seals could be good but the oil might still need changing per the prescribed maintenance interval.

As promised! The fork boots are Daystar 58 series, great price on amazon at the link below. The fit is perfect but there are heavy-duty zipties included if you feel the need to make them extra secure on the lower unit. The material is good looking, feeling, and lasting. Pics include final appearance on bike, one-on-one-off comparison, and what fork oil will look like when it's long overdue to be replaced.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TYHQ18/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attachments

• complete.jpg
    complete.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 502
  • forks.jpg
    forks.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 495
  • fork oil.jpg
    fork oil.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 488
Howdy, been a while since I chimed in. I slapped some boots on when I changed my fork oil. All you need to do is pull the front forks off, slip the boots down/on, and re-install the forks. Not to bad at all. I'll come back later with pictures and the specific boots i used, they fit perfect and i'd highly recommend them. :bike:

It also might be easier if you take off the front wheel, depending on how high you can jack up the bike.

I added boots to my Maxim a few weeks ago, although I like the looks of the Daystars more than what I bought on ebay.

Attachments

• IMG_20140803_165025.jpg
    IMG_20140803_165025.jpg
    298.8 KB · Views: 444
Jared - a little off topic, but I noticed you have aftermarket handle bars on your Maxim. Very different look. Have you ridden with both? How do you like them? Must change your riding position.

Jared - a little off topic, but I noticed you have aftermarket handle bars on your Maxim. Very different look. Have you ridden with both? How do you like them? Must change your riding position.

Yup, I put clubman bars on. One of the first changes I made when I got the bike (the standard bars made it a bit too cruiser-like for my taste). You are a bit more forward with these bars, but still upright. I took the bike down to Boston and back this summer, which was a 750km ride each way, and I did fine (but a bit stiff by the end of the day).

I made a few other changes this summer:
-Added the gaiters
Lowered the forks an inch up in the tripple (although this changes the handling a bit, might change it back)
- Lowered the headlight 2 or 3 inches by installing a new mounting bracket
- Lowered the Tach/speedo 2 or 3 inches (opened it up, flipped the mounting bracket around, and fabbed a quick bracket to get it to mount properly to the tripple)
- Flipped the handlebar mounts around so I would still have clearance with cables
- Added bar end mirrors instead of the stock rabbit ears

I like how it turned out! Here are the before and after shots:

Attachments

• IMG_20140802_134955.jpg
    IMG_20140802_134955.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 477
  • IMG_20140803_165016.jpg
    IMG_20140803_165016.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 457
Also, I'm thinking of switching to clip-ons just to clean up the look a little, but I'm not sure if I'll have enough clearance with the fat Maxim tank. I still want to use stock controls (signals, kill switch, etc)

You do nice work! Now start thinking about casting that fiberglass seat pan for the cafe racer look. The bike looks cool with the seat removed - so you have an idea what the final look will be. Might be a fun winter project. I'm still in the " thinking about it" stage.

Back