Instrument Cluster Issues

phillybean

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hello all, long time lurker and first time poster...

I have a 84 Maxim 400 that I purchased last year. I did not ride it at all last year. Over the winter/spring I replaced the carbs (tried to rebuild but a jet broke), replaced with stock used ones. I did fork seals, new tires, front & rear brakes, plugs, oil change, air filter, fuse block and general clean up. Bike is finally up & running.

When I bought it, the tachometer cable was unhooked from the tachometer, during maintenance I hooked it back up. On the first ride, there was a loud hum coming from the tachometer. It worked properly, however 20 minutes into the ride it started bouncing up and down and then the needle broke off. I did not disconnect the cable from the back of the tachometer afterwards. Second ride I put about 50k on. During the last 10k the speedometer started bouncing up and down. There was still a intermittent loud hum/vibration type noise coming from the tachometer. Once I got home I unhooked the tachometer cable from the back of it. I figured the vibrations from the tachometer were impacting the speedometer. Yesterday was the first ride since, everything started to working fine, until 5 minutes into the ride I started hearing that vibration noise again. When I looked down I saw that my speedometer needle broke. What was left of it was not moving at all.

I've ordered a new cluster from a wrecker, but am a little concerned something else might be causing the issue. I don't want to wreck the new cluster and be out $170.

A couple notes that might be applicable -
I did not install the front fender again, so cable isn't mounted to anything, but doesn't have any damage on it.
New at working on bikes, if there was anything I could have done wrong when reinstalling the front wheel, I could have done it.

I think it could be the cluster itself, the tacho/speedo are mechanically operated so if everything was tight and the cables in good working order they should'not be an issue.
33 year old plastics left out in the sun and rain with dry out and get brittle...may be that was it.

Back