intake holes

salisride

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
hey guys anyone know the distance between the mounting screws for the carb holders center to center. I found this place that sells them really cheap and theyre mikuni but you need mounting hole space and carb throat diameter. I think it was bikebandit

65mm center to center for the bolts. 31mm for the intake holes. 39mm at the inner lip and 41mm for the outer lip where the carb goes in.

Attachments

• DSC02289.jpg
    DSC02289.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 92
  • DSC02290.jpg
    DSC02290.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 90
  • DSC02291.jpg
    DSC02291.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Chris that's perfect kll see if they have anything that matches that, There was some holders on there for like 12 bucks each.
seems like there is some room for porting in the intake 31mm compared to 34mm carbs ? Maybe 34 wouldn't produce enough suction

I'd suggest not trying to do a full porting, and certainly no polishing of the intake ports. Match the intake ports to the carb holder, and do not do much more than that. If you increase the size of the ports, you will reduce the velocity of the intake charge, which may result in less performance. Also, keep the ports rough. If you smooth them, the gasoline may adhere to the walls of the ports rather than being in the air flow. The turbulence caused by a rough surface will re-introduce the fuel to the air flow, which will provide a more consistent mixture.

Boots are already matched for the head size.

Attachments

• DSC02292.jpg
    DSC02292.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 67
yea I figured as much. Knowing that engine are air pump a big intake wouldn't produce much velocity but I was wondering maybe just increase the beggining of the port. Kinda to creat a velocity stack effect from 34mm to 31

I'm not sure your idea of the velocity stack effect will do much more than giving a place for fuel to pool up. A velocity stack is used to increase the flow of air into the carb at the air intake. Being on the vacuum side of the carb it might only offer a slight venturi effect that would only benefit you if you would incorporate another fuel at that point. Say possibly Nitrous. Farmers did this with water in the early days to increase compression with a substantial increase in power. It had a side benefit of knocking carbon deposits loose but it also caused some severe engine damage if not done properly. I tried water injection on a car a while back and had limited results.

Back