Intake Manifold Sensitivity

Arclight88

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Let me begin by stating that I will endeavor in the future not to commit anymore Netiquette offenses. Now onto my issue...

I removed the stock intakes to perform some cleaning (no carb rejetting, just an exterior cleaning of the carb bodies).

I have been occaisionally starting and running the bike on the maintenance stand (see pic). After several starts, the bike got hard to start, and now will not start at all. I think that if I put the intake manifold and filters back on, it will return to normal operations.

Am I on the right track?

Attachments

• DSC_0381.jpg
    DSC_0381.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 246
the netiquette police are watching you.....:wink2:

I think you just need to clean the spark plugs as they would have gotten carbon on them making it hard to spark. Give them a good clean

make sure the intake manifolds are torqued to specs and not overtightemed as it causes a weak mix due to the manifolds distorting (happened to a mate)

give the battery a good charge too as you may see 12v but the amperage may be low

the netiquette police are watching you.....:wink2:

I think you just need to clean the spark plugs as they would have gotten carbon on them making it hard to spark. Give them a good clean

make sure the intake manifolds are torqued to specs and not overtightemed as it causes a weak mix due to the manifolds distorting (happened to a mate)

give the battery a good charge too as you may see 12v but the amperage may be low

Put the intake manifold back on per the specs. Bike started right away. Tried it again several times over the next 4 hours - all good. Now on to the starter...

I'm confused. How were you starting it with no intake manifold on?

I employed the usual starting procedure. Of course, this means that the air/fuel ratio was way out of whack and caused the machine to stop working after a few minutes of operation.

All better now.

Back