Interesting occurrence...

jake21

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey yall. I just had something interesting happen to me, was wondering if Nyone can help explain. So basically my headlight hasn't been working for a while, and I decided it must be the bulb. Since I just took it out from the winter, that was going g to be my first project. However, I noticed my battery wasn't getting to be recharged, so I took the key out, disconnected the battery, and went to check the connections on the reg/rec unit I swapped out last year. Strangely, when I was playing with the three white wires {which come out of the stator} I noticed if I touch my red main wire to one of the white wires, and reconnect my battery, my headlight, neutral and oil, and brake lights go on, even without the key in the ignition. I looked at a wiring diagram, and I have a feeling it may have to do with the relay, any ideas?

Update....I tried kick starting without the key, with the red wire touching the white, and it started up hot! I just figured out how to hot wire a bike, quite by accident.

Hi Jake, with out knowing anything about your bike, (I used the signature line so that I don't have to tell every thread what I have, just incase the next person doesn't remember the previous thread)

My first thought is 1. diode on Stator is blown. 2. relay may not be working to spec's. (ie wrong one, or notable to function due to some wiring malady). 3. the safety doesn't allow the light to turn on, with out the motor running. (however, it will generally turn on after first attempt to kick start/run the e-start), (thoughts based on my own biked,listed in signature)

Hey artsform, thanks for the Sig tip. I've been having charging issues for a while now, and I've been doing a lot of testing with my multimeter, but I have yet to find the culprit. So it's definitely possible it's a bad diode in the stator. My other thought is a faulty ignition switch or just general bad wiring somewhere.

Under wiring diagrams, their is a color ized wire diagram for our generation bike, The diode is on the white wire heading to the safety relay. its under the fuel tank, just about where the front of the seat ends. you will have to cut up some tape to see it. it is in a protective plastic tubing. I just commented on a charging issue with in the last 3 days, with a link to a thread that has charging.sys. that person was looking to upgrade the Voltage reg.

Back